My original aversion to decorating was that I'd put it all up, have to take it all down if we sold before Christmas, and then put it all back up in our new home, then take it all down again after the New Year. BUT, that is no longer an issue at this point since we won't have to move out before Christmas - the turn around just takes longer than 16 days now.
OR
2) All the decorations just make our home look CLUTTERED.
CLUTTER = SMALL
CLUTTER = CLAUSTROPHOBIC
CLUTTER = MESSY
CLUTTER = UNKEMPT
CLUTTER = UNSETTLING
CLUTTER = DISTURBING
CLUTTER = PSYCHOLOGICALLY UNSOUND HOMEOWNERS (Think: that "Hoarders" T.V. show that everyone talks about/is disgusted by.)
I had a goal of "40 bags in 40 days" - which was literally filling up trash bags - throwing out or giving away "stuff" in our home that we didn't need, we didn't use, and we didn't LOVE. I quit counting after 24 bags, but after this big effort, I hate to bring back more stuff again, ya know?
And I KNOW that many of YOU are turned off by clutter. Remember when I blogged about this? Most of your comments were not about being horrified by the sheer NUMBER of bottles of cologne my husband had, but by the the fact that he had them all out on the bathroom counter!!!
On the flip side, there's the possibility that "THEY" might think we're Scrooges, or something, if our Christmas decorating is lacking, and will wonder what other crazy things have gone on in this house! (It's TRUE! I have these thoughts when I look at houses myself!)
But, we have to live our life, too, right?
But, anyone who has sold a house while living in it, knows that your life is NOT really your own during this time anyway.
So, which line of thinking do you follow?
Or is your opinion something else entirely?
*******
Of course, if it's more "traffic" (literally) I'm trying to get to come see our home, I could use Christmas decorating to my advantage and do it like this, I guess....


10 comments:
Christmas Clutter = Adorable!
We have a few houses available in our neck of the woods ... we could use another great neighbor! ;)
I say tree and stockings only...nice clean exterior decorations...nothing stuffed...dust mite-ish...nothing too crafty.....just a nice tree, stockings, and a nice candle. That's my vote. Thanks for asking :)
I agree with Sarah. You need to decorate, but don't get it all out. Just put up a tree and a few things. That makes it easier for you and it is still cute!
I vote for the tree and stockings and maybe something on the porch. CLEAN AND SIMPLE!
decorate!
I agree with Sarah :)
I agree, too - decorate. Who's that hanging from the roof?
Our house was for sale during the Christmas season even and it sucked, won't lie! Decorate, but just a little. It is still your home!!!!
DId you guys sell your house yet? I say just decorate a little. Not too messy! But do put up a Tree!
I agree with Sarah - decorations - but clean and simply - not too much! On the other hand - I don't want you to move...... so clutter it up baby!
Post a Comment