Wednesday, December 4, 2013

You're So Smart vs. Your So Dumb

Despite Kyle's tendency to lose things; his jersey, his wallet, MY nail clippers, his iPod, etc., he did FINALLY get a [flip] cell phone.

DID YOU KNOW HE WAS THE LAST TEENAGER ON EARTH WITHOUT A CELL PHONE?!?

CAN YOU BELIEVE HE GOT STUCK WITH SUCH HEARTLESS, DORKY, BAD PARENTS?!?
{at least that was the hogwash he's been trying to feed us for the last few years}

Anyway, one of the rules that comes with the privilege of having a cell phone is that I can read their texts at ANY TIME.  No questions asked.  We, their parents, pay for these things.  We are merely loaning them to our sons with the understanding that they will act responsibly......and censor themselves when it comes to texting.  (Even though it is easier to text things that you would not normally say out loud, in person, or in front of your/your friends' parents!)

So, on THE FIRST DAY that Kyle had his phone, I asked if he'd been able to figure out how it worked yet.

Yep.  He informed me he already had 68 texts!

68 TEXTS?!?

OK.  Hand over the phone.

I started to scroll through the "conversation" he'd had with the girl he is quite fond of [who shall remain nameless.]

It started out like this:
Him:  Guess who?
Her:  Who?
Him:  Guess.
Her:  Just tell me.
Him:  Giving up so easy?
Her:  K at least give me a clue.  Boy or girl?
Him:  Which do you hope it is?
(Really!?  Are these guys 14 yrs. old, or something?  Why, YES, they are, as a matter of fact!  I'm cracking up, so of course, I had to read on!)

{14 more texts like that with vague clues and unsuccessful pleadings}

Then it continued:
Her:  Is it Colby?
Him:  Nope.
Her:  Tony?
Him:  No.
Her:  Russell?
Him:  Wrong again.
Her:  Just tell me!
Him:  How bad do you want to know?
(This is RIVETING dialogue, I tell ya!)  ;)   

{14 more texts of back & forth, her exasperation and his smugness growing}

Then it continued:
Her:  Do we have any classes together?
Him:  Good question!
Her:  Well......what's the answer?
Him:  I can't believe you haven't guessed it yet.
Her:  Aaaugh!  Just tell me who you are?
Him:  Maybe you don't want to know.
Her:  I DO!
Him:  We talked today.
Her:  When?  About what?
Him:  Yada, Yada, Yada.
Her:  Blah, Blah, Blah 
(This Jr. High "flirting" has CAPTIVATED the audience [me] - how about you?)  ;)

AT LAST, the girl guesses that it is Kyle.

In conclusion:
Her:  Ohhhhh.  Duh.  You must think I'm so dumb!
Him:  Nope.
Her:  Well I am.  It took me FOREVER!
Him:  No worries.  :)
Her:  Your just being nice.

OK.  That was a romance killer.  Now I think you're dumb!

Because....it's YOU'RE not YOUR.  
It's a CONTRACTION of the words YOU and ARE.  
It involves the elision of a vowel (in this case, the "A") which is replaced by an apostrophe in writing.  
When in doubt, just do the "test," people.  Can you substitute "you are" in your sentence with it still making sense?  If yes, use, "you're" not "your".  
THANK YOU.

And......You're Welcome for the nerdy grammar lesson.

This little ecard describes me: 

And just so we can further get my nerdiness out in the open - and you can consider yourself WARNED -  here's another caption that screams, "THIS IS ME!" 

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Kyle here, and FYI I don't like this girl anymore, I actually haven't since like the middle of October, so yeah don't ever listen to my mom she twists the story so much.

Suzanne said...

Ryan Here.
Give me your Man Card KYLE!
Really guessing games over text?

Suzanne said...

Just talk to the girl!