Soooo....I have spent the Summer getting up early five mornings a week and going out "training." I have got up while Matt was still snoring away in the bed next to me. I have wished I could still be in the bed next to him! I have, most mornings, NOT wanted to get up and go run. BUT, I have. I have while Kyle & Katelyn waited, hiding in the cubby hole under the stairs, until I left so they could sit there [on their butts] watching on early morning T.V. I have gone out while Ryan & Haylee were still dead to the world in deep slumber. And when I returned home from running, the "activities" of my family still resembled that of the life of a SLUG.
Prior to the race, Matt & the boys went out a total of TWO different evenings running/walking/jumping around (Kyle).
Katelyn had WALKED a little over 2 miles with me - ONCE.
Haylee had NEVER gone out and trained whatsoever.
However, Miss B has become quite the proficient "stroller rider" - she has years of experience!
So, help me understand HOW ON EARTH, THAT kind of "preparation" got these kind of results:
FIRST to finish from our family: Kyle (No adult available to take photos)
SECOND: Matt - pushing Miss B in the jogging stroller the whole way.
THIRD: Haylee
15 yards ahead of....

FOURTH: Ryan
And then they all hung around.....waiting....and waiting...and waiting. It was later reported to me by my kids that, while they were waiting, Matt was voicing concerns like Did they get lost? Did they get injured along the way? Is Mom passed out?
(Thanks, Honey!)
Until finally....
FIFTH: KatelynSIXTH: Me
They were all well rested, while my heart was still pounding and sweat was dripping down all over my body, by the time we were able to all get together for this post-race group shot.I will say that I [took the higher road and] volunteered to stay with the girls, so they wouldn't get lost or be alone. Turns out, Haylee didn't even need me - she left me in the dust during the first half mile. She ran the whole thing. Never ran one step prior to the race and then beats the majority of us! I just Don't get it!
Katelyn, on the other hand, needed me repeating the mantra of The Little Engine that Could to her every other minute. I think I Can. I think I Can. I think I Can. Because after she ran the first mile and a half - SHE WAS ABLE TO RUN A WHOLE MILE AND A HALF STRAIGHT WITHOUT HAVING PRACTICED RUNNING BEFORE (I just Don't get it) - she spent the next mile and a half whining/crying/complaining, I can't do this, I'm NOT running next year, I can't do this, My feet hurt, I can't do this, WHY did you make me do this - I didn't want to, I can't do this, My tummy hurts, This is too hard, I can't do this, My ear hurts, I can't do this.
After she ran that first mile and a half, I let her walk, and held her hand most of the rest of the race.
Then we ran for five minutes.
Then we walked some.
Then we ran for three minutes.
Then we walked.
Then we ran for one minute. (I was losing her!)
Then we walked.
Then I pulled her, running the last stretch, because you HAVE to run the last stretch across the finish line - it's one of [my] unwritten rules...then sent/pushed her ahead to finish before me at the last moment.
But, truth be told, our overall pace was very comfortable for me! I'm glad I had the "excuse!" :)
But, truth be told, our overall pace was very comfortable for me! I'm glad I had the "excuse!" :)It was eerily similar to when I made Kyle do it with me four years ago when he was age 7. And now, fast forward to this year and look how far he's come, baby...
He got the "Gold Medal" - finishing 1st Place in his age group - with a time of just 22 minutes! I just Don't get it.
And THEN, during the medal ceremony, Matt's name [unexpectedly] got called, too! He got the "Bronze Medal" - finishing 3rd in his age group - running a faster 5K than I have ever run in all my years (30+) of racing with a time of 28:00. I just Don't get it. Matt did say it helped that, with his 40th birthday this year, it bumped him up to the 40-49 age group. He was considered the young, spry one in the group. But, still.....he ran twice this summer. The only other cardio exercise he can claim is playing on a Indoor Soccer team....but this summer, it's been very sporadic - only 1-2 times a month.
Even though "I just Don't get" (AND IT'S SOOO NOT FAIR!) with my family's training/performance ratio, I am glad we did it TOGETHER. It is a fun tradition that we will continue for years to come.{Hopefully, it's like childbirth - and Katelyn will have forgotten the "pain" by next year!}


5 comments:
Love it, love it, love it! Congratulations to the Matt Brenchley family. We are very proud of you.
Typical men right. We women work our butts off to loose ten pounds and a guy just thinks about it and he does it in just days! I feel your pain woman but you are way more advanced than I. Angie and running don't get along. I hope it does become an awesome family tradition!
we ran a 5k a few weeks ago, and I too got my butt whooped, after running regularly for months. i did not get whooped by Steve, but by a lot of other people who never run
It sounds like Papa has passed on his running genes to his grandkids. Congrats Kyle 1st!!! Ash and I also did our city run and she was the first female finisher and 5th across the line. We only did the mile fun run not the 5K. She knew what a mile was from track and didn't want to try farther yet...
Growing up my family would do a 5k together and it was the same thing. My dad and I would be the only one that trained and my 2 brothers would kick our butts and a lot of the time they would place. I can't wait to do it with my family!
Post a Comment