Tuesday, May 14, 2013

42

Ryan was offered EXTRA CREDIT in his U.S. History class at school if he went and saw the movie, "42" and then wrote an essay on it.


I wanted to see the movie, too, after listening to a movie critic on a T.V. show (that critic proclaimed that it was Harrison Ford's BEST ACTING in a movie EVER!  Better than all his Star Wars movies.  Better than all his Indiana Jones' movies.  Better than Witness.  My interest was PIQUED, to say the least!)

It just so happened to be Ryan's month for a "date" with Mom & Dad, so off we went to the movie theater.

I was really shocked... and disgusted... and ashamed to see the way that Blacks were treated in the "white's only" days of segregation.  It made me sad, but I was proud of the wife of Jackie Robinson, Rachel.  She was a great lady!  She was such a wonderful support and shining beacon in his life even under all the pressure they both lived.  ("I want you to know I'm there for you." ) Her behavior, as a wife, was an example to me.  (Plus, she is gorgeous!)

My favorite lines from the movie that have left me really thinking:


(A manager from another team, Herb Pennock [Mark Harelik] calls the Dodgers' manager, Branch Rickey [Harrison Ford] before a game...)
Herb Pennock:  "I'm afraid we're not going to be able to take the field against your team if THAT BOY'S in uniform.
Branch Rickey:  "Why's that, Herb?...His name is Jackie Robinson, by the way."
Herb:  "Yeah, Branch, I understand he's got a name, but we're just not ready for that sort of thing in Philadelphia."
Branch:  "Well, what you do with your team is your decision, Herb.  My team's going to be in Philadelphia tomorrow - with Robinson - and if we have to claim the game as a forfeit, so be it.  That's 9 to 0, in case you forgot."
Herb:  "You know what, Branch?  You've had a *&^% of a )&%^$&........I'd like to know WHAT IT IS you're trying to prove?"
Branch:  "You think God likes baseball, Herb?"
Herb:  "What's that suppose to mean?"
Branch:  "It means someday you're gonna meet God, and when he inquires as to WHY you didn't take the field against Robinson in Philadelphia and you answer, 'it was because he was a Negro,' it may not be a sufficient reply."

Good point.  How many of our (my) other petty actions/attitudes do we (I) justify, but REALLY our (my) excuses are lacking?

and this one:

(The Dodgers manager is telling Jackie how much he will be harassed, abused, and ridiculed - and how he is not to buckle under the pressure of others' malicious acts and taunting words.....)
Jackie Robinson:  "You want a player who doesn't have the guts to fight back?"
Branch Rickey:  "No. I want a player who's got the guts *not* to fight back." 

I agree.  The NOT fighting back takes MORE guts!  To be the "bigger person" is harder.

It was a very good movie to discuss over dinner at Iggy's afterwards.......and an easy topic (lots of things to discuss) for Ryan to write his essay on.

Go see it. 

No comments: