"Dad, can I play on your phone?"
"I want to use your iPad."
I was disgusted. After all, we were on vacation at an "all-inclusive" Family Camp with a TON of things to do, and all they could think of was electronics? In fact, they seemed a bit lost in the cabin that 1st night, since there was no T.V. and we said NO to their gadget requests. (Apparently they didn't bring toys or books or artwork to do, either. And, what? The don't know how to TALK to anyone else who was there?!?).......well, here's an idea: why don't you GO TO BED and actually sleep when it's after 9 or 10 at night?!?
I was kind of shocked, too. It was an eye opener to me that it had become so routine for them to use/play with the electronics daily that 1) they were MAD when they couldn't (there was MUCH complaining/crying/whining when we said NO) - it was like the end of the world for them and 2) they acted like there was NOTHING TO DO instead, like no alternative to those [sometimes dumb] machines!! Has it been so long since the time when they DIDN'T rely on that for entertainment? AND it was my girls -- what do little children "need" with those things?!? It made me sad.
FIRST AND FOREMOST, this week was a time to be with our family - away from all that distracts us!
AND, SECONDLY, no way do I want anyone to miss out on God's BEAUTY that surrounded us!
I ended up turning off my cell phone, (it was VERY spotty reception anyway) left it in the cabin, and didn't even carry it with me all week.......it was SO nice!


1 comment:
Sounds good to me, taking a break from the electronics, but then I am "old school".
Post a Comment