Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Paranoid is Never Entirely Mistaken

I started reading this new book, Still Alice, this week.  (A movie by the same title was made about this last year).  Before I even started the book, I knew it was going to be about a woman, a 50-yr.-old woman, mind you, with early-onset Alzheimer's disease, thanks to the synopsis written on the back cover.

In just the very beginning parts of the book, I read about how:
The woman (Alice) was on a speaking assignment, and she was mid-sentence when she couldn't find the word she was intending on saying.  She had a loose sense of what she wanted to say, but the word itself eluded her.  It just wouldn't come to her.
THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!

A little later, she was leaving a restaurant when the waiter ran out after her, and handed her back her BlackBerry that she had left.  She couldn't comprehend HOW the waiter got a hold of it because she didn't remember ever using it during the meal.  But, she checked her purse, and sure enough, it wasn't in there.
THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME!


Another time, when she was checking her daily "To Do" list that she had written for herself, she came across a one-word name and she thought, "What does that mean?"  She didn't know if she was suppose to tell, show, or ask that person something.  She tried checking her calendar and email, but nothing rang a bell.  She couldn't figure out what she was suppose to do about that "reminder."  (And then she figured it out a month later when that person contacted her about an assignment!)
THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME! 


So, now the question is; should I keep reading, or is this book just going to make me think I HAVE (or am developing) Alzheimer's?!? 

Are these actual SIGNS, or just PARANOIA?

It doesn't matter if I'm paranoid, I'm still going to get the disease! ;) 

No comments: