That plan involves other people than just me making dinner. Brilliant, eh?
I'm not available in the days to do all the dinner planning/prepping like I used to be PLUS it's time for my children to discard the phrase, "I don't know how to cook" from their vocabulary!
So, Kyle has Mondays.
Haylee has Tuesdays.
Katelyn has Wednesdays.
And I'll do the rest of the days. EXCEPT, according to this article, my husband should be doing Sundays. ;)
There were also some "rules."
- It has to be a REAL meal. (Ramen, Mac & Cheese, and Spaghetti-O's or anything like unto these are excluded!)
- They cannot repeat the same meal within the same month.
- It has to include a vegetable and/or fruit, plus be a balanced meal (with a protein and a grain.)
Here's how things went the first week:
Kyle wondered why it took him 2 1/2 hrs. to make dinner!
He learned that he shouldn't leave the kitchen multiple times in the middle of making dinner - especially when he has put butter in a saucepan to melt! ;)
He also learned it will go a lot quicker if he cut up all the vegetables and cooked/diced the meat BEFORE he started cooking!
Haylee wondered how in the world we could stand eating all the pancakes she'd made WITHOUT any syrup!
She learned that she should probably take inventory of ALL the ingredients (including condiments) she will need for her dinner and, if we don't have them in our pantry, she should write them on a shopping list BEFORE mom went shopping a few days prior.
(Luckily, mom knows how to whip up homemade syrup, and saved the dinner). ;)
Katelyn wondered why her entree did not yield as large of a quantity as it usually does (like when mom makes it) and worried there wasn't enough for everyone to feel satisfied.
She learned that she should follow the instructions on the size of pan that the recipe says should be used and add ALL the ingredients that were cut and measured ahead of time. (She used a smaller pan and everything wouldn't fit in it, so she just filled it and then left out the excess ingredients). ;)
{Hopefully, they all become more proficient, with time!} :)
This first week, I had to answer a lot of questions and assist with various tasks, when asked, so I actually had to be available or present - but I did not take it over for them when they struggled; I wanted them to be "in charge." My vision is that one day, they'll all be able to function in the kitchen like a well-oiled machine, and I could walk away from the kitchen or our home, and everything would run normally without a hitch and they would pull off dinner with success!
{In other words, I hope to "work myself out of my [cook] job."}



No comments:
Post a Comment