Several weeks ago, my cousin blogged about "The Junk Box" she always received every birthday growing up.
If you don't wanna click on the link and read about it (although you should, since she is delightful) I'll give you the Cliff Notes for it. Basically, it's a box full of YOUR favorite things to eat, customized to YOU, meant for YOU, and YOU only! (i.e. Sharing is completely optional!)
I read it and thought, What a great idea!
This would go over so well in my family!
They would LOVE it!
This would be the highlight of the gifts.
But, I didn't just think all of that - I resolved to do something about it! I made an executive decision to make this a birthday tradition in my family -- effective immediately!
Because if you know me, you know that treats SPEAK TO ME! To my very heart and soul! And it must be genetic, since my children also have inherited this trait.
In fact, the "Treat Thief" breaks into our pantry/storage room/cupboards in very high frequencies!!
And it just so happened that the next birthday in my family was my baby's.
Is there anything I could put in a 2 yr. old birthday girl's junk box? I wondered.
But, then I started brainstorming, making a list, and came up with plenty.
And, boy, was it a hit!
I'm not sure who liked it more....
Miss B.
or the other kids.
But, I do know we had some, "Why did you start with Brookelle?" complaints going on!
Also, the "How much longer until my birthday?" questions suddenly increased.
And the, "I sure hope I get ___________ in my junk box!" hints were casually thrown around.And then there was just some general day dreaming/fantasizing about what their own birthday future would hold going on.
It's the gift that keeps on giving...6 days after her birthday, she still has something to show for it! It's still around, meeting her every "munchies" need.
The Junk Box is a keeper! :)
Actual contents:
Cheetos
Goldfish
Dum-Dum suckers
Swedish fish
Juice boxes
Crackers
Granola bars
Licorice - nibs & Pull-n-Peel
Apple
Smarties
Fruit snacks
Vanilla creme-filled sandwich cookies (not as messy)
Apple sauce


7 comments:
That is a fun idea! Danny's family kind of did that, but I like the bigger scale. BTW what is a gold fish dum-dum sucker? ;)
Glad to see a few healthy things in the "junk" box. Sounds like a fun tradition.
Will Brookelle share her licorice nibs with me? :D
Fun idea! I would want one for me too, it would be filled with diet coke.
What a fantastic idea! I am so going to copy you!
That is so fun! I'm dreaming about what I would want in my "junk box".
That is so cute! I should've read your blog earlier, Luke's birthday was today!
Post a Comment