Sunday, February 13, 2011

Can't Get it Out of my Mind...

I attended my friend, Julene's, funeral this week.


Everything about her death is such a tragedy!



She is one among our group of friends that goes on our annual Park City Shopping Trip every November.

Most of us were there at her funeral - and we were one blubbering mess!

There's one thing, especially, that I keep thinking and pondering about, though. Her husband spoke at her funeral. How can a spouse speak at a funeral?!?? I already told Matt that I will not - I cannot - speak at his funeral. (assuming I'm still alive myself) And I'm not afraid of Public Speaking - I do pretty well in that area. I just simply COULD NOT hold it together, emotionally!! That is an absolute fact.

But, her husband did so well!!! He gave such a REAL talk.

So inspiring.

He quoted from a recent Ensign magazine article that I haven't stopped thinking about and sharing with others I've talk to since then - because it affected me so much. So, I might as well share it on my blog, too, right?

Feel free to read the whole thing, but I'll just include an excerpt:

"Each of us must grow up and leave the security of home and the protective care of parents to enter a world full of problems and challenges that reach far beyond our experience. As we venture out, we would like a ready source to tell us how to handle every difficult situation. But that is not the Lord's system.

It is not the design of heaven that we be rescued from all difficult situations. Rather, it is the Lord's will that we learn to handle them.

The sense of being overwhelmed is very much a part of the journey. The power with which God clothes us in His holy temples does not imply that our journey will be an easy one.

As we accept our lot and move forward with what the Lord has asked of us, we discover that we enjoy the company of the Holy Ghost, angels feel constrained to join us, and the heavens open to our vision.

As you seek direction, the Holy Ghost will lead you far beyond your own thoughts and mark a course that reaches beyond that which you can see even by the light of day."

I was so glad for him that he has come through this experience with an absolute testimony. I was so grateful that he shared it. I know my testimony was strengthened by listening to him that day. I wonder if the author of that article knew how many peoples' lives would change by his words of truth. I know the author must have been inspired to write this talk (it was originally a devotional address at BYU in 2006) and then the timely submission to the Ensign magazine this month - to help her husband and all of us that day and from here on out.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I have read the article at least four times since you shared it with me. I have received strength through studying it, and I hope that those I share it with will too. Thank you so much.

Jamie VanBeekum said...

I know exactly what you mean. I keep thinking about the things he said too, and I am SO glad he spoke. I needed to hear about his journey. I have been sharing what I learned through this experience with so many people in the last week. I'm so grateful for Julene's life and the things that she continues to teach me even after she has left this life. It's so amazing the ways that God teaches us and the little things He does for us that cannot be accidents or coincidences. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing :)

Julie said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend..... and thanks for sharing that amazing article! I loved it!

Natalie said...

I love that article. I'm seriously going to print it out and put it on my fridge. I'm so sorry for your loss of a great friend.

Siri said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I have been thinking about you guys and Cindy a lot lately. Hugs.