Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dis-Connected

I think I may have been one of the last one in the Modern World to get a cell phone! (At least it seemed like it.)

I didn't get one until January 2003.
{Everyone *GASP*}

I was 32 1/2 yrs. old.

This comes in real handy when my kids voice their desires for their own cell phone at their young ages.

Kids, I was 32 before I got my own cell phone!

To which they reply, Mom, cell phones weren't even invented when you were YOUNG!
(See how well that's workin' out for me!)

I didn't really think anyone needed a cell phone.

I know I didn't need the expense of one.

And the sentimental side of me doesn't like things to change from the good ol' days.

Ya know, the good ol' days when I ran out of gas, and I went to the nearest house and used their phone to call for help. And when I practically cut my finger off one day, went to the Dr. for stitches, and my husband never knew about it until he got home from work. And when I'd wait 2 HOURS for my Mom to come pick me up from piano lessons. And when my parents never knew where I was....OR when people had to call me at home to talk to me - when I was home - not when I was out on a HOT DATE!! (imagine that!)

Anyway, so I got my first cell phone back in 2003 -- ONLY BECAUSE my husband's company provided us with them. As in, his company bought our phones for us AND pays the monthly bill! If we hadn't been offered that benefit, I'd probably still be cell phone-less.
......And I wouldn't be facing the problem I am facing now!

You see, I was leaving on a trip to Washington D.C. yesterday morning - my alarm went off at 4:45AM, but Miss B beat it by coming into my bedroom crying at 3:30AM, and I never went back to sleep - so in my combined state of sleep-deprivation AND my unfortunate adult onset A.D.D./losing my mind condition, I found myself going through the security line at the SLC airport.

I had put my cell phone in my pants pocket since I thought that would be easier access than trying to find it in the bottomless-pit-of-a-handbag I was carrying. So, I loaded up the bins in the security line with my shoes, watch, 3 oz. or less liquids/gels/aerosols in a quart size ziploc bag...I've done the drill dozens of times. And then I set off the alarm when I went through the metal detector. The TSA agent suggested a cell phone may be the culprit -- Oh yeah, I forgot it was in my pocket! So, another TSA agent held out a separate small, round dish-like container for me to put it in and then sent it through the X-ray machine....way behind all our other regular-sized bins. (This is a very important fact to note!) I walked through the metal detector again without BEEP. Phew! So, then I hurriedly grabbed my shoes and handbag and urged my teenager to "get a move on it" up to the Gate to catch our flight. We took the first leg of our flight and landed, had a layover in another airport, boarded the second plane of our connection, and while preparing for take off, I heard the announcement to "Please turn off all cell phones and electronic devices until further instructed during our flight." I reached into my pants pocket for my cell phone -- NOTHING!


OH NO! The morning TSA series of events came back into my mind. I never picked up my cell phone out of that second container! It was still back in SLC and I was en route to Washington D.C.

(Jill, good thing I didn't get myself one of the fancy, schmancy "My Touch" internet phones you told me I "needed!")

I turned to my husband, {GASP!} I left my phone at Security! I frantically squeaked/wailed out.
YOU LEFT IT THERE?!? My husband firmly asked in disbelief. WHY?
(Because I'm a doe-head, OK?!?)

I did notice that this "interaction" we were having caught the attention of the woman sitting beside me - and out of my peripheral vision, I could see her gawking at us, listening intently, enjoying her "front row seat" of our unfolding drama. (I think she was concerned about my well-being, and was trying to identify if I had an "abusive" husband, or something! :) haha!)


So, here we are in D.C. now.....feeling TOTALLY LOST and OUT OF CONTROL since we have ONE cell phone (Matt's) between us travellers.

While he's attending his Conference, he has NO IDEA where we are and what we're doing or when to meet up with us.

If he gives us his cell phone to use, he has NO IDEA what time it is, since he has long since quit wearing a wrist watch.

When he starts getting extremely sleepy during a class, he can't request my help to counteract his situation with the text, "Talk dirty to me, Babe!" :) hahaha.

And when I'm in the Smithsonian, I can't text him (back at the Conference), "This 45.5-carat Hope Diamond is NOTHING compared to the wedding ring you gave me! ;)

It's FRIGHTENING how my opinion of cell phones has changed over these last 8 1/2 years!!

I experienced the same TRAUMA and completely OUT OF SORTS feeling when we went to Cancun earlier this year. I got there one day before Matt, and, although I managed to get through TSA with my cell phone on that trip, it did not work over there. It was "Searching" the whole time! I also did not have any computer with me. I couldn't get in touch with him very easy at all! I didn't know if he got on the plane, I didn't know where he was, I didn't know when (or if) he would get to the resort....It was a very freaky feeling. I finally did a credit card call from the room @ $45.00/5 min. - and an international exchange fee. Ouch!

It's gone from just appreciating the convenience of "modern connectivity" to being quite DEPENDENT on it! It's like I've been rendered disabled without it.
It's crazy, I tell you. CRAZY!

BTW - plz if u can tell me how 2 get help it would be gr8. thx. lol.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

I know you left it because you subconsciously wanted that new phone we were talking about. ;)

Mandy said...

Oh no! I would lose all control if I didn't have my cell phone on a trip. I got you beat you for going the longest without a cell phone. I got mine in 2005 and Mike in 2007! He was the only one at his 10 year class reunion who didn't have one yet. I think he got a prize though! Hope you guys are having fun.

Anonymous said...

Tom thinks he needs a phone now and it's driving me nuts. They really do have a control over us. I am glad you didn't have a really fancy phone, now you can get one and play angry birds!