"Realize the Promise."
Our YM/YW quorum and class presidencies came up with the idea to read the ENTIRE Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, in a single weekend.
Yes, the quest was to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover.
Every single page.
As in ALL 531 pages.
We had more than one person tell us we were CRAZY! (and that they'd never want to do that!)
And we, as their leaders, supported and admired them in this desire. It was a sacrifice for everyone to be there. Ryan told me that their Sunday School teacher had them talk about each of their sacrifices: a whole Saturday of College football, swing club, time spent with the girl of one young man's dreams, hanging out with friends, sleeping in, playing video games, a date, etc. Ryan, personally, gave up a High School Debate tournament, which will [negatively] affect his grade - unless he can put to use those debate skills he's learning and persuade his non-LDS teacher that she should have compassion on him.
So we planned and fed them all their meals and snacks while they were there. We planned to go from 4:00 – 10:00 p.m. on Friday and from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. on Saturday (but we actually didn't end until about 10:30 p.m. on Sat.) and then concluding with the very last chapter, Moroni 10, in our combined class at church on Sunday (we ended up having to read eight chapters in Moroni at church.) but it's still good to have a plan.
Everyone came full of excitement to read!
After all, this event involved 21 hours of reading!! (we listened to it on CD, too.)
(Uh, Jennifer, wrong book - that's a BIBLE you have open there! :))
We had 11 Young Women attend "Realize the Promise" and a couple dozen young men. (Good odds for our YW, eh? :)) Allow me to just give a "shout out" to our girls...
AND because this is MY blog, and I was the one with the camera, my own sons are gonna get a good share of "PUB" now...
Ryan, reliving his "Samuel the Lamanite" part he played at the reenactment of the Book of Mormon at our Youth Conference 1 1/2 years ago.
This young man averted my camera whenever I came around! He hid behind his book or hands, he turned his head or body away from me...and then FINALLY, I got a picture (and caught him cleaning out his teeth with his fingers - SEE, he should've just let me take a normal photo!) :)
We gave the youth the opportunity to bear their testimony in church afterwards. For many, this was the very first time they had ever read the whole Book of Mormon. What a great start for them to build on the rest of their lives. Some simple just stated that they were glad they went. Others declared that they thought it was "cool" or "fun" or "good." How exciting that even the smallest testimony is being nurtured! Most of them admitted that when they were listening, or when they were following along, or when they were quiet, or when they weren't goofing off, or when they were fully engaged and trying, they felt the Spirit! Most also wished they had done better. Imagine that - what a novel concept!! :) It's so true, you get out of it, what you put into it!
This Young Woman taught us so well during the testimony meeting. Before we started reading the last third of Alma, our Young Men's President had asked the youth to think about WHY about 20 chapters in The Book of Mormon was all about war and battles - what did it all have to do with us? She stood up in the testimony meeting and told us that she had realized that, in The Book of Mormon, when the people relied on the Lord and were humble and righteous, they had success in their battles. Likewise, she testified, that WE have our own battles in life, and if we have faith and rely on the Lord, she knows WE will be strengthened and successful in overcoming them.
Wow.
As I am writing this, tears run down my cheeks remembering the strength and truth that came from their words.
I told the girls who were sitting by me that they might feel like they're on "B of M overload" and want to take a "break" on Monday, BUT I advised them they're already on a 3-day streak! If they read Monday, they'll be on a 4-day streak, Tuesday makes it 5 days, etc. etc. Which is a better streak than they may have experience before - and that is AWESOME - so don't quit! :)
The Book of Mormon I have now is quite new. It became necessary to get another one after my toddler daughter ripped out page after page after page when I wasn't looking a while back. She had a grand time!! ;) I have had about four different B of M's through the years, before they get too worn out to use anymore. I still remember my first B of M as a child was a BIG blue one with large print - with my eyesight like it is now, it might be a good idea to go back to that type! :) It's kind of hard to get new scriptures because I get used to where I have marked everything and written notes and I rely on them to understand....but I think it also makes me stretch, and read with "new eyes" and find new insights without using my past markings as a "crutch."
With this experience, I was able to mark my scriptures with many things that the Lord was teaching me through the Holy Ghost:
- I know the Lord will make things known to me if I believe in Him and keep the commandments (1 Nephi 15:11)
- Keeping the commandments means ALL of them - and ALWAYS (1 Nephi 15:25)
- I know that the Coming Unto the Lord = Happiness (2 Nephi 9:43)
- The Lord delivers His people time and time again (Mosiah 11:26) and I know the Lord has power to deliver ME from whatever problem/challenge I have.
- Believing should lead to ACTION. (Alma's example in Mosiah 17 & 18)
- My own slothfulness hurts my progression... and my children... and generations after me - I should never be weary of good works (Alma 37: 33 and 41)
- Forget myself and go to work. Be Fearless! (Helaman 10:4)
- Christ can HEAL me [from sin, emotionally, physically, psychologically] - and everyone. (3 Nephi 17: 7-9)
- NO contention is a good goal - I want this in my home! This begins with me. (4 Nephi 1)
- The word of God and his Gospel is not the way of the world - it is a MORE EXCELLENT way, prepared lovingly for ME...and you! (Ether 12:11)
- All GOOD things come from God and Jesus Christ (Moroni 7:12)
(just to name a few ~ there are many more!)
....and the way I spent my weekend was definitely GOOD. It was exactly what my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ would have wanted all of us there to be doing. Who cares what all the "naysayers" said or thought!This quote sums it up:
"We find that sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven. And in the end we learn it was no sacrifice at all." Spencer W. Kimball








9 comments:
what a great experience! also I had no idea that Kyle was such a great artist! i am very impressed.
Thank you so much for documenting this AWESOME experience so well! You were a stalwart example to me during this experience. I think you were definitely the most dedicated YW leader! Your boys did so well, and I too was touched by Ryan's sweet testimony! I'm going to steal some of your pictures, for my blog. I hope that's okay!!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You will porbably never know all the good that will come of it. Is Kyle taking art in school? His drawings are impressive.
Suzanne! That is one of the coolest craziest things ever! They will defiantly remember this activity forever. I am sad to say I don't recognize many of the faces, I guess we have been gone longer than I realize!
so so so so neat! Love it. Those youth will remember it forever. I still remember mine (we did it every Friday all-nighters for a while).
Those art pictures are absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angie,
Your non-recognition is justified....It's because all these Young Women were little 8-11 yr olds. back then - BEFORE puberty! :) Also, our ward got expanded 9 months ago, so there ARE new faces.
What an awesome experience. I may need to get more details from you. I'm going to suggest it to our YW/YM leaders.
Thanks to all of you leaders for putting this together - and for putting up with them - especially the stinky feet, body odor, etc. I know they will all remember what an incredible experience this was! Hunter claims to have loved it - even if his picture says something else..... And Kyle is an amazing artist by the way!
On Dec. 16, 2011, BEEB texted ME:
Ok I just read your blog about he book of Mormon weekend and tears are still streaming down my face. What a special experience for all involved. Those youth will remember this forever! Awesome!
Post a Comment