.....as we go marching up the hill.
{Name that song}
Listen HERE for a hint.
On Saturday, we noticed we actually had a day with hardly anything on the calendar AND we've been having warmer than usual temps, so Kyle had suggested we hike to Flag Rock.
Sure! Why not?!?
Except when we tried to drive to the starting point, the road was still closed for the winter.
So, we improvised and found another of Farmington's many trails: the Davis Creek Trail.
It is in the mountains, so it would be quite an ACCENT! Lots of UPHILL. So, Matt & I wondered if our younger children would be able to make it....??? I just said, I could take them back to the car when they'd had enough and wait there for the others to finish.
{Ryan was absent, off doing his High School thing with friends, attending the State Bball tourney in SLC}
Well, it turns out, we shouldn't have even worried about them! The children went up the trail like gazelles!
Well, it turns out, we shouldn't have even worried about them! The children went up the trail like gazelles!
WE ARE THE ONES to worry about!
We are the ones who were begging for rests and telling them to wait for us. And holding each other up.
(And when I say "we" - it's really like 70% me, 30% Matt!) :)
My calves were ON FIRE!!! The angle the hill was forcing my feet into were killing them. I guess that's why we're suppose to stretch before beginning any physical activity?!?
The thought, How far I've digressed, went through my mind about 43 times.
I never wanted to be one of those moms who don't ever participate in activities (sports, boating, races, swimming, games) with the family - who just sit on the sidelines and watch - so I was making myself do it!
But, my calves! Ouch! My knee! Oh! My hips! Ugh!
At one point, Haylee took my hand and pulled me along. Matt tried pushing me from behind, but then decided if he went in front and I hooked onto his belt loops, he could kind of "drag" me. ;) But, his not-quite-a-year-post-surgery-knee was not handling it the best, either.
(I was kind of disgusted with myself.)
We saw a sign post indicating that we still had 2/3 of the way to go to reach "Pretty Valley" and I thought, Where's the chair lift when you need it?!?
I got to a point where I could see this view of dear ol' Farmington,
and I pronounced, This is "Pretty Valley" enough for me!
And I turned around and went back down the mountain and waited for the rest of the brood in the car.
(The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!)
(The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!)
I had already hiked for an hour, and they went another hour (they made much better time without me) - luckily I was prepared with a book!
I heard later that Matt kept trying to get our children to stop and go back [using me as his excuse] "because mom is waiting."
To which they [correctly] countered back, "Mom is fine! She has a book!"
They found an awesome rock - and had to get on top of it, of course!
Apparently, scaling the mountain was not enough effort for 5 yr. old Brookelle, so she thought she should weigh herself down a bit more by collecting rocks along the way and putting them in her front pockets! What?!?
That was nothing!
Easy Peasy!
(Way to show me up!)
When can we come back?!?
(Whoa Nelly! Not so fast.)
Matt & I were both rubbing our knees on the car ride back, then zonked out on our bed when we got home.









1 comment:
Way to go you guys!! You did it!!! What an awesome view for your reward!
Post a Comment