Friday, March 21, 2014

The Sacrificial Jedi Braid

Ryan started growing a Jedi braid about a year ago.....

{Summer 2013}
It started out because he went so long without a haircut, and that resulted in REALLY shaggy, long hair.  So, when he finally did go in for a hair cut, he requested she leave just a little section long, to braid.

Not everyone liked it.....in fact, at our Youth Conference this summer there was lots of talk amongst those in attendance about cutting it off in his sleep - there was even a "pot of money" out for the person who would.....but it didn't happen.  I think they were afraid of the repercussions of messing with someone's personal perogative.

It wasn't my favorite - but it's HAIR!
My view on it is this:  Children committing major sins = a BIG DEAL.  Children experimenting with hair = NOT a big deal!

As time went on, it grew a little more.  (Ryan's in the yellow shirt)


{Fall 2013}
And more. 

 And it kept growing. 


{Winter 2013-14}
And growing.... 

{Spring 2014} 
Until this is how long it has gotten today.
He took pride in the fact that, due to another friend's Bishop making him cut off his Jedi braid before he submitted his mission papers, he currently had the longest Jedi braid at VHS.

And then this morning, Matt & I attended the "Mr. Viewmont" assembly at his High School.  It is a "Bachelorette" type event that Ryan was a contestant in.
All I really knew about it was that they had to do A LOT of filming over the past month and they had rehearsals like every day after school this week!!

We watched the "Mr. Viewmont" show and we saw Ryan make it through the "interview round."
Then he made it through the "dance off" round.
Then his team won the "scavenger hunt" round, and they advanced.
Ryan was in the FINAL FIVE!

These finalist all had to do a talent in front of the whole student body as part of the live show this morning - and he was quite nervous for this part.  (He was originally going to sing, but then changed it to "Brench" pressing the Bachelorette, herself!)

So, this is how the talent section of the show played out (click to enlarge):
 (keep in mind, we had NO IDEA what was about to happen!)


(Matt's high-pitched laugh/squeel may be just as entertaining!)

I ALMOST yelled out from my seat in the auditorium, "DON'T DO IT!" 
Why was my 1st instinct to yell & attempt to stop him?  That was a weird phenomenon since I didn't like it that much, anyway.  BUT I know he LOVED it (he even said those exact words in a talk he gave in church last month!) and it had taken a long time, and it wasn't a guarantee to be crowned "Mr. Viewmont."  I didn't know if it would be worth it for him.  But, I restrained myself......it probably is not a good idea to have the mom of a teenager do such a thing!  ;)

And, in the end, he did not win.

When I relayed the experience to his little sisters, Haylee's eyes filled up with tears and she exclaimed, "He did it for nothing?!?"  (Ahhhh, she DOES care about him!!)  ;)
To which [happy] Katelyn replied, "No.  He did it for his mission!"
 (True - there's a time & a season)

What a bummer he didn't win.  (We all think he should've!)  No other contestant gave so much for his Student Body!  ;)

(But, what a fun story & memory!  And a BIG surprise for Mom & Dad.)

2 comments:

momandpop said...

Love it! I laughed and laughed. Very clever, he should have won. That pic with the braid in his mouth looks a lot like his Uncle Chris!

Gus n' Jamie said...

what a fun story! way to go Ryan, you are definitely a winner in our eyes :)