Brookelle got to do it this year, too, since it's her first "summer vacation" from a 5-day-a-week school year.
It's something I look forward to.
Yesterday, I just finished up my last lunch. And when I stopped to think about it: 5 different children = 5 different lunch experiences. :)
- I first went out with Kyle to Costa Vida (I'll never complain about that!) He goes there for the BIG sweet pork burrito. He hopes eating like that will cause him to get big(ger) and tall. ;) He's in a stage where he's more interested in going out to eat good food rather than to be with me, I think. ;) He talked a little & barely muttered a "hello" when he was greeted by one of his old cub scout leaders who was also there - being the "quiet giant" that he is. He wasn't much into the "dining experience" where you hang around even after the food has all been consumed. He was ready to go. (Was that so the fewest number of acquaintances possible could potentially see him there together with me???)
- Next I went out with Brookelle to Kentucky Fried Chicken. She goes there for the drumstick, original recipe. She also got a side of Mac & Cheese which she decided wasn't that good. She chose for us to sit on a high table with tall stools, but then she wanted to get down & up, down & up a good part of the time. Our conversation was also disrupted by her having to go potty (or just wanting to check out the restrooms?), watching other customers and then telling me [in a not so quiet voice] any interesting/odd/funny thing she noticed about them (while I tried to shush her volume down a bit), looking at all the signage on the walls, needing more napkins, and me reminding her to actually EAT. (lots still left on her tray). It may have had something to do with the fact that we were going to her Dr. appt. immediately afterwards? (Or that she just CANNOT sit still!)
- I actually made it on Ryan's schedule one day, too, for lunch - his days are filled with working a couple of jobs & friends, that I didn't know if he could "fit me in" haha. We went to Sizzler. He goes there for the STEAK, of course! There was a special with a steak/salad bar combo, too, so even more food in his book is always a PLUS! And I'll just say that he DEFINITELY got his money's worth! We talked about this, that, & the other: friends, mission calls, World Cup soccer, money, work, ranch dressing, the "game plan" for his mission prep, our family, traffic, etc. etc. Our waiter came back at least 10 times to refill our water and ask if we needed anything else, and left the after-dinner mints. (WAS HE TRYING TO HINT THAT IT WAS TIME FOR US TO LEAVE, OR SOMETHING?!?) :) And then we talked some more - and he ate some more. ;) What a vast contrast from my previous lunch date with the 6 yr. old!
- I took Haylee out next - also as a combo with her Dr. appointment. Picking a place is difficult for a Celiac because so many places have gluten all over their menus. And then it's especially difficult for Haylee because the gluten-free options are things she doesn't want to eat. She settled on Wendy's. She got a really healthy lunch (HA!) which consisted of a vanilla frosty, some fries, & a root beer (but she would not try a flavoring in it, even though they have the 200+ fountain drink variety machine there!) Even though I like their burgers & chicken sandwiches (now on pretzel rolls!) I got a baked potato because I think it'd be rude to eat good bread in front of her on our date. Eating out is very different when you have to worry about food allergies, I tell ya. We talked about random things - even though she's going into Jr. High this year, I'm glad she's not into all that "Jr. High stuff" (pop culture, phones, boys, bling, expensive clothes, and non-innocent things in general) yet. Although I do get rolling eyes, looks of disgust, & sassy tones already - yuck! She doesn't talk & eat at the same time, so I have to sometimes stop the talking, every now & then, so the eating will happen!
- Finally, I ended up the Summer lunch rotation with Katelyn to Chick-Fil-A. She hadn't ever tried their food, but had heard really good things about it. She opted for the chicken nuggets - and was not disappointed! She discovered she likes their special sauce - even better than honey mustard! The thing about Chick-Fil-A is that it's required that their employees all be so nice....which led to a couple of them stopping by our table to chat. They were very pleasant, but it took away from my time with Katelyn, so I was kinda bothered - although she later told me she like them. That's just like her - she's so friendly - she DID sit there totally smiling at them the whole time. Katelyn got a lesson in asking adults for what you need. I taught her how to approach the counter to request a drink refill and also to trade in her "kids toy" for an ice cream cone. She was nervous before doing it, but then felt quite accomplished afterwards. I did get a few texts during lunch that I responded to -- and she called me on it! Yep! I should BE WITH her. We stayed after our trays had been cleared away to talk longer to make up for all the other talking time we missed out on with the interruptions from the employees & my cell phone.
So, whether it's reserved & eager, or fast-paced & unfocused, or long-winded & glutinous, or anxious & pure, or bold & enthusiastic, I am glad for the opportunity these lunch dates provide for me to spend time with my children.


1 comment:
Love it! Love each of those unique kids!
Post a Comment