Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crime and Punishment

I don't know if I'm even in the right frame of mind to write this, BUT I'm going to. (And maybe delete it later!)

I get home from shopping at Dick's with Katelyn & Brookelle, where I'd been for the last 1 1/2 hours. I'd already been performing "meltdown control" with Brookelle the last 1/2 hr. of the shopping trip. Brookelle is hungry, tired, and poopy. (Not to mention I am, too - at least the hungry part!) I bring the baby in the house first and change her diaper and am planning on feeding her and putting her down for a nap.

I notice that Katelyn still hasn't come in the house, yet, so I go out to the car to see if she needs help getting out or something. She is acting suspiciously. She is trying to hide something, holding her hands over the pocket of her dress. She does this often -- usually it's to conceal something she just destroyed (ripped apart, drew on, pulled off, crunched, etc.) So, I move her hand and reach into her pocket...and find a pack of Lifesavers! Yes, it had been semi-destroyed. The outer wrapper was all ripped off (later found on the floor of the car), so just a roll of colored lifesavers were showing through the white inner wrapper, a few of which were already missing! I knew we didn't have any Lifesavers around, so it could only mean one thing! I holler, "Did you STEAL this from Dick's?" She nods her head, YES. (I guess I should at least give that to her, she could've piled on another crime and LIED about it.)



I am sooo mad! Maybe even furious! I knew the right thing to do was to go back to Dick's RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT and make her confess & "make restitution!" But, I am already home! It's a 10 minute drive each way. The baby needs a nap. I'll have to reload the baby back in the car and haul everyone into the store....It wasn't convenient. I WISHED I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT! For a split second, I even tell myself, "It's OK, you don't have to do anything - just let it go!" BUT, IT WASN'T OK! I tell her we are going back now and she will have to tell them what she did and pay them [her own money] for it. She starts to CRY & CRY saying, "I just can't do it!" I was like, "OHHH...if you can STEAL it, you CAN tell them what you've done." I even tell her that the Police take people who STEAL to jail! Oh, that got the crying going to a louder volume/higher intensity! I didn't care if it made her cry at this point. I'll for sure be winning, "Mother of the Year," don't ya think?! :)

I called Matt and told him he needed to "do something about this" and then gave Katelyn the "Just-wait-until-your-father-gets-home" speech. The thing that made me the maddest (is that a word?) - besides the fact that it was SOO EXTREMELY INCONVENIENT for me, was that she has stolen toys from my friend's house the last two times she has gone there with me. I made her take those back, too (she stood on the porch crying in front of her) but apparently she doesn't "GET IT!" Oh my word! I have a Klepto on my hands.

So, anyway, I got the baby back in her car seat. Katelyn had unattached her car seat from the seat & taken her shoes off in the meantime, too. So, I had to get that all put back together [wasting more of my time] and we were on our way.

I gave Katelyn her ziploc bag of money and we walked up to the Customer Service Desk. By the pitiful look on Katelyn's face, I think the lady instantly knows what we are there for. I pull the mangled pack of Lifesavers out of my pocket and tell the lady I found them after we got home and Katelyn was here to pay for them. The lady says, "Uh Oh!" Katelyn starts to whimper/frown/shake. And the lady gives me a wink. Well, I'm not in the mood to be winked at - I am not amused by any of this! They find a new pack of lifesavers that she can scan and charge Katelyn the $0.81. The lady tells her that she is such a "big girl" to come back & pay for them. She tells her she is really proud of her. She thanks her for being honest enough to come back immediately. I am a horrible mother and was kind of thinking, "Enough already with the praising - don't make her feel good - SHE STOLE!" (At an inconvenient time, I might add!) But, I guess if I wasn't so mad, I'd think everything she tells her is good and true. EXCEPT for the next part. The lady went on to tell her, "Since you've paid for the Lifesavers, they're yours! You can eat them now!" And for the first time since being in the store, Katelyn smiles. OH NO SHE DOESN'T! She will not be rewarded! Those Lifesavers are now mine. The lady told me, "We've all been here. We've all been here." trying to console me, I guess. But, REALLY, I hadn't "been there" before today. Quite unusual, you might think, but it's true. That explains your overreaction, you might judge. Did I mention it didn't happen at a convenient time?! (Does anything ever?) Should I just be counting my blessings that this was the FIRST?

I watched the clock. The whole return process takes 28 minutes. And then I still have to feed the baby and put her to sleep when I get home. All that wasted time - and gas! I still haven't decided if she will pay me money, too, for my time & trouble. Katelyn kept trying to tell me that the lady said she could have the lifesavers, now. Too bad that lady is not her mother, huh?! I tell her she is lucky they didn't call the Police while we were there! I need to re-read a storybook on STEALING and memorize those lines, too, huh?! She commits to me she will not do it again!

All I can say is, she BETTER have learned a lesson from this. I hope she remembers it for a lifetime! (So much so, she uses it in a Sacrament Mtg. talk!) Then the 28 minutes will have been worth it! (But, I still think it'd be better if she never did it!)

11 comments:

Ry Guy said...

Can I have the Lifesavers, Mom?!! :)

michelle said...

Yes, I used my stealing experience in a Sac. talk once. Mikey and I did it at the same time at Smith's, which is either Mac's craft store or the bldg. is torn down now. I'm with you I would eat them right in front of her and let her whale. I might let her have the last one once my heart can't take it anymore, hopefully by then she will feel bad.

Michelle D. said...

HUGS! I feel your pain. I think you get blessings in heaven for loading up the crew and hauling them all back to the store. HUGS!

Kristen said...

But she's such a CUTE clepto! Her mug shot would be darling....all those pretty curls! ;D

~Pam said...

You're so funny. I am going to send you something if I can find it about wasting time...

Dan said...

I am also proud of you for going back. What a good example you are! I had to give one of those talks when I worked at Wal-Mart and was 16. I had no idea what to say, but that lady (a mom i presume) should not have tried to make Katelyn feel better about it. She should have at least put on an I'm so disappointed show or told her that you would have to decide what to do with the life savers or something...

Anonymous said...

You are a better mom than me. I probably would of justified not going back.

They are too nice at Dick's.

Did you let Ryan eat them?

Mandy said...

Wow! I am impressed by your determination to teach her the lesson. I have luckily stopped some of my kids attempts at taking candy home without paying for it.

Siri said...

Oh Suzanne ... I am laughing and feeling your pain at the same time! Good for you, Mom, for going back. I would have been sooo mad too. Make hubby give YOU a gold star tonight. ;)

Nic@Nite said...

What a story! I am glad you went back. You never said anything about your groceries, did you have time to put them away so they didn't get ruined? Sorry, I just kept thinking about that.

Suzanne said...

Nicole -- I had actually brought in the bags of groceries before I discovered the theft. I then did put away only the stuff that needed to go in the fridge or freezer first, but left the rest while I returned to the store.
Thanks for your concern - Ruined food would've made it all the worse, huh?!? :)