And because of them, I will admit I was a bit anxious, even felt a little uneasy leading up to our Anniversary trip to NYC. I don't know if my preconceived notions came about from watching too many movies, listening to too much "here say," or what. Maybe things have changed, but what I was scared of really wasn't there!
Preconceived notion #1: There are RATS "as big as dogs" crawling around the streets & sidewalks.
Actual: The ONLY rat I saw was this "pet" sitting on his owner's head & shoulders.
Actual: I realized I had nothing to worry about when I saw these folks...
Actual: We experienced none of that. And I'm pleased to say that we only got on the wrong Subway twice! Note to self: just because you took a certain Subway getting to your destination, does NOT mean the same one will get you back! Also, Don't let "Downtown" confuse you. It is not the center of the city as I naturally will refer to it in these parts - but, in NYC, it's down, as in more south from where you currently are ~heading towards Lower Manhattan! Also a big help: HopStop.com
I've fallen in love with their signature "Sheraton Sweet Sleeper" beds. (They tell me you can order them online....)
Actual: Although, I did frequently keep one hand on my purse at all times, no one touched me...except I did get pushed by a stiletto donning woman as she walked by (and commanded, "Excuse Me.") since I was stopped on the sidewalk she wanted to walk by on - and avoid the alternative, the grates covering the Subway below which would surely have been a disaster with her shoes!
Preconceived Notion #5: The hotels that are in the price range below $300/night are "hole in the walls" - a regular dive.
Actual: We were so happy with our hotel. New, no noise, so comfortable, free wireless, complimentary bottled water ($5/bottle at other hotels), a candy jar at the front desk!...And the price was right!
{In our Lobby}
It really did the trick - we slept until 11:00a.m. one morning, 9:45a.m. another!
Preconceived Notion #6: The weather isn't nice. Too humid, too cold, too muggy. Unpredictable summer storms.
Actual: Just look at these skies...
I ended up wearing my jacket around my waist every day "just in case" I needed it. Didn't!
We also DID see all this hub bub happening on the street one day with a big film crew. I see no stars, do you?
THAT DAY, we went to the top of The Empire State Building....
it was just a tad bit windy clear up there!
Preconceived Notion #7: It's practically impossible to get tickets to Letterman.
Actual: WE DID! (They actually called me ahead of time, before we left, asked me a "trivia" question - What kind of store does Rupert have? Answer: Deli. Done - we're on the guest list.)
Our show will be airing tonight, Friday, Sept. 11th. We're in the audience on David's desk side , about 7 rows up! The main guest was Michael Douglas. I don't know if it was just because we were there, but "our show" seemed to be better than all the others I see on T.V. Tune in tonight to see for yourselves!
Actual: Negative. Unless you consider him...
We found out they were filming Sex and the City 2.
Taxis, Taxis, & more Taxis
{we never took one}

Pigeons, Pigeons, & more Pigeons
{a flock even made a landing on the field in the middle of the Yankees game}

Garbage, Garbage & more Garbage
{put out at night, and it miraculously disappears by morning}
People sleepin' around
{I only saw this kind, not the other kind!}
Fancy Cars
{A Rolls Royce}
What a wonderful surprise to have most of my preconceived notions proven wrong! :) Now maybe another time, another place, those things are happening....? We'll just consider ourselves LUCKY!
{we never took one}
Pigeons, Pigeons, & more Pigeons
{a flock even made a landing on the field in the middle of the Yankees game}
Garbage, Garbage & more Garbage
{put out at night, and it miraculously disappears by morning}
{I only saw this kind, not the other kind!}
{A Rolls Royce}
Now in closing, Imagine the New York, New York song by Frank Sinatra playing in the background!


10 comments:
What a fun trip! I love the way you wrote about it and the picture of you at the top of the Empire State building. Hysterical!
Looks like you guys had a blast! I'm glad you didn't get mugged or murdered. I can't wait to see you on Letterman!
OK, I'm officially jealous! A trip to NYC? A trip with just the two of you? No kids? Sounds awesome, and relaxing, and romantic! ;D
Love the pictures. I'll be watching for you tonight on Letterman! That is so cool!
I can't believe you didn't take a taxi, that is half the fun! The day we were leaving NY last time we were there, we got a phone call at the airport for Letterman tickets. We almost stayed an extra day. I love NY, you made me want to go again. Glad you didn't get mugged. Did you find some good cheesecake?
It was great reading your blog today of all days, I was living there 8 years ago and was just thinking back to 9-11. Your entry made me miss it. I love that place.
We're definitely tuning in tonight to see if you'll be on Letterman. You make me want to work for the airlines again! Happy Belated Anniversary!
How fun! You didn't stick around to see if any Sex in the City stars came around? Dang! I didn't see Letterman did you get on camera? You should have taken a taxi and maybe it would have been the cash cab show. I want to go to the big apple!! Happy Birthday tomorrow!
Looks like a great trip! Good job getting so many pictures of you and Matt together! Good memories
I'm sooooo jealous! How fun!!! And I can't believe you didn't get tackled from taking pictures of everyone!!!!! I LOVE the picture of you on top of the ESB! That is sooooooooo funny! And that bed seriously looks DIVINE and you're making me sleepy looking at it!
What a wonderful time with a wonderful wife and friend! Thoroughly enjoyed the Sweet Sleeper and the activities therein!
Okay, So I have been there 3 times and NEVER gotten the Letterman call. Also I have seen celebrities every time, what gives. But I totally told you that th subway was safe - You should know how paranoid I am, and I still take them by myself. Glad you had a great trip, and that you enjoyed Carnegie's.
Post a Comment