Thursday, September 6, 2012

Freak of Natures -- that's what we are!

Recently, while in San Diego attending a work-related conference, Matt & I were at a dinner party with a group of his business associates - many of whom we were meeting for the first time in person.


In the course of the getting-to-know-you conversation, the topic of kids came up.  We were asked if we have kids.

Yes.

How many?

Five.

FIVE??!!!??

Quoting one person exactly [as she dropped her fork and half-choked on her food]"HOLY CRAP!!!"

Keep in mind, the people in attendance are not of our faith, nor are they from UTAH (Indiana was the furthest west that any of them reigned from), so the concept of 5 children was really UNHEARD OF to them.  We're talkin' Foreign territory.  This especially made sense when we found out about all of them, too; their number of children were 2 and 2 and 2 and 2 and 3.

(Meanwhile, I'm silently thinking about those who have even larger families than mine - like my aunt who has 12 children - how would they react to that?)

I did tell them that Matt came from a family of 7 kids, and my family has 6, so we're not even measuring up by comparison.....but then I had to stop talking about it because I felt some of them were at risk for a heart attack!  :)

When they recovered from the shock, one guy thought he was being all FUNNY by making the joke, "You must NOT have cable TV!"

To which Matt replied, "We don't."  (seriously)



Oh, can you imagine the raucous that caused?  Our table erupted in ROARING LAUGHTERBah hahaha hahaha.  Intermixed with that noise were people's "smart" comments, "No Wonder!"  or "You should try cable!"  or "Atta Boy!"  or "I was right!"  It was one of those things when all the rest of the people at the restaurant STOP what they're doing/talking about and look over at "that table."  (The guy who made the original joke was REALLY proud of himself!)

Now they can't decide which thing to be MORE astonished about:  5 Children or NO Cable TV.

{Of course, I'm sure the unlimited wine served with their meals, influenced this EXAGGERATED reaction in them.}

Right?

Because it's not even a big deal to live without cable.

RIGHT?

RIGHT?!?

HELLO?

Is this thing on?  tap....tap... [on the microphone]

hello

2 comments:

Melissa S. said...

We don't have cable either.........then again #7 is on the way. Maybe there IS something to it. ;)

momandpop said...

I love it! Made me laugh out loud.