Ryan was joking (?) the other day and told us we should tell him "17 things we LOVE about him" for his 17th Birthday. (he said it with the tone in his voice that communicated he believed THAT was the last thing we'd want to do!)
Was that a challenge?
Because I don't just let a challenge slip away into oblivion....I RESPOND!
So, while Ryan was still at school (for after-school activities) on his Birthday, the other children and I made the list. I had everyone come up with three things (Matt only had to do two because he did his impromptu - he was informed of the plan at the last minute - AS we were revealing the list to Ryan).
But, BEFORE I get to that, Ryan first came home and went straight down to his room.....and saw THIS, his first Birthday surprise:
(Matt resurrected the ol' drum set of his childhood; cleaned it up, bought the missing pieces, and set it up in Ryan's bedroom!)
COOL. was Ryan's exact response. (with a period, not an exclamation mark.)
I brought out "the list" right before he opened the rest of his presents. His smile was big enough afterwards, that it made me wonder if hearing all THAT was the best present of all.
Here's the LIST:
{from Brookelle}
"I like that.....
1) He's Weird
2) He gives me piggy back rides
3) He puts up with THREE LITTLE SISTERS!
{from Katelyn}
4) He's nice
5) He has SWEET Basketball skills!
6) He's Smart!
{from Haylee}
7) He's Funny
8) He's Adventurous (w/ me on roller coasters, etc.)
9) He's AWESOME at sports
(BONUS) I like how he dresses.
{from Kyle}
"I admire him because he is.....
10) Independent
11) Persuasive
12) STRONG (Kyle would know since he is the recipient of all the wrestling/horse play around here!)
Kyle commented, "It's all the things I AM NOT."
{from Me}
13) He is a Good Cook - especially his Chicken Wraps (w/ Ranch - yum!)
14) He is THANKFUL. He is the first one to say, Thank You, when we take the family out for a treat, or at dinner, for the "good meal" that I prepared (while some others are turning their noses up at it!)
15) He reads his scriptures on his own - and tries to develop his Spiritual side.
(BONUS) He is FUN & playful. He loves to laugh & joke & be amused & is lively and comical.
{from Matt}
16) He has the ability to "Bounce Back." Ryan has had various disappointments in his life so far, and he doesn't STAY down about it, or RE-hash it, or let it prevent him from trying again. He GETS OVER IT and moves on.
17) He is so sharp and has a lot of wisdom, even beyond his years, when it comes to the scriptures; events, people, dates, stories, doctrines - you name it. This is going to enable him to be a great missionary!
(BONUS) Even though Matt gets on him for goofing off too much - especially at the wrong times (i.e. middle of Family Night, right before the prayer, when a baby is sleeping in the next room, when it's time to empty the dishwasher), he appreciates that he can lighten things up - and for the levity he provides in our home.
Ryan finished his Birthday off by going to the Jazz game with 6 other guys from his basketball team (and me, Matt, & Kyle).
We LOVE You, Ryan!
*********
Ryan seems to be the theme of my posts lately.......
When, in fact, I DO indeed have a husband and 4 other children - I will try to "shake it up" with more variety in my posts to come! :)
1 day ago


1 comment:
Cute brother/sister picture. Happy Birthday, Ryan. We love you!
Post a Comment