"Mom, can I talk to you?"
Sure! We went into my bedroom and closed the door.
"{insert boy's name} is a LIAR!" she whined.
"Oh? Really?"
"Yeah. I asked him to Be My Valentine today, and he said he was already someone else's......AND THEN I saw him go over to {insert another girl's name} and ask HER to be HIS Valentine!"
"Oh no! How disappointing!"
"And then I walked home from school with {insert same above referenced girl's name} and asked her about it, and she confirmed he DID ask her!"
"What do you think that means?"
"I DON'T KNOW!"
Really? She didn't know? Because I'm thinking it was as clear as day. This boy likes this other girl and he was already planning on asking her, but then Haylee jumped the gun and messed up his plans, so he rejected her with a "cover up" and asked this "true love." Pretty much, it was a case of, "He's Just Not That Into You!" But I didn't divulge that cold, harsh truth to her. Should I? Because she certainly didn't see it that way.
"It's SO confusing" she continued, "I always catch him looking at me in class. Why would he go ask someone else?"
{Background info: They were already "Mistletoe Mates" from the Christmas season, so she thought this Valentine thing would be a "done deal."}
"Because he looks at me for like 25 seconds!"
I counseled with my resident 13 yr. old young man about the situation and meaning of the male psyche. He confirmed this boy was trying to say NO in a nice way. And as for the long looks....sometimes boys just stare into space for a while without really even SEEING anything!
I hugged my daughter and she laid her head on my shoulder as she wallowed in her misery.
Then she got on the phone with one of her girlfriends and told her the story. She got off the phone and told me, "{insert friend's name} says {insert boy's name} is an IDIOT!"
And somehow that made her feel better - she looked a tad bit more content.
And I thought.....that's EXACTLY what I did as a young girl.....talk & talk & talk to my girlfriends about my crushes and how "BOYS ARE SO DUMB!"
Oh dear, It has started with my daughter!
I didn't want her thinking I approved of her "trash talking" other kids, so I told her, "He was probably just trying NOT to hurt your feelings."
"Well, he DID! He made me cry at recess when he rejected me!"
(Oh, how heartbreaking!)
Then she switched gears and was wondering WHY he couldn't be BOTH her and that other girl's Valentine? Because rumor has it, that girl that he DID ask was THREE DIFFERENT BOYS' "Mistletoe Mate" back in December. (Apparently, she is one little Hottie at the Elementary School!)
So, now she's considering polygamy as a satisfactory arrangement?!?
Aaahhhhh.....Young Love.
_______
*Names have been omitted to protect the privacy of the innocent :)



1 comment:
SO SAD!!!! And you're right, pretty obvious there. hahaha
But that's how middle school girls, elementary, high school and even MOMS react to things......go tell another girl so your bitterness can be validated. ;)
Post a Comment