Friday, February 22, 2013

My "Theory" has been Proven RIGHT

Our doorbell rang last night while I was kneeling at Katelyn's bed with her, listening to her bedtime prayer.  She went on a little bit longer, so I couldn't make it to answer the door for a couple of minutes.....
 
Maybe it was a Good Thing, because when I DID answer the door, NO ONE was there, but, instead, this "Mountain Dew display" was arranged on our front porch.  My extra delay in getting to the door, obviously gave the "culprit" plenty of getaway time!


A closer look:
CODE RED is Red...    VOLTAGE is Blue...

Will you "DEW" me the honor....

of going to MORP with you?!

The 10 cans of [red & blue] Mountain Dew lined up in the front each had a letter written with black marker on the bottom of the can......
Put them all in order, and it spelled the girl's first & last name!  (I didn't show that photo to protect the privacy of the innocent - from the TWO people who read this blog.  Hi, Mom & Dad!)

Ryan actually wasn't home at the time, so I just went out there and took all the photos, but left it all there for when he came home a few hours later.  IF the "Special Delivery Person" was still hiding somewhere on the street or nearby, they probably watched me taking all the pictures on the front porch like a dork - I hope they were entertained!  :)

ANYWAY, as exciting as getting asked to the dance is, my main point of the post is THIS:  My teenaged son might finally BELIEVE me!

Back in the Fall, when Homecoming Dance (boy's choice) was coming up, Ryan hemmed & hawed about whether or not he was going to go.  The longer he took to decide, the closer the dance was coming, and it was nearing the point when it would be too late to ask anyone.  He didn't know WHO to ask - so I gave him suggestions.  Some of them were "off limits" since they were "so and so's girl" or they'd already been asked.  As far as the other girls, he worried that THEY wouldn't want to go with HIM.  He said he wasn't going to go.  Then he decided he wanted to go.  He even used my [unknown number] cell phone to "investigate" with some other students to find out if certain girls had been asked or not yet.......THAT texting conversation was INTERESTING to read after I got my phone back.  He found someone he was going to ask......but then he talked himself out of it.  I tried to clue him in to the FACT that girls DO NOT like it when the boys WILL NOT ask anyone to the dance, because that means all the more girls won't have to opportunity to go at all.  I told him the girls would be MAD at him for just sitting home instead.  I tried to emphasize to him that the consequences of his choice NOT to ask anyone would be that, in turn, girls would NOT want to ask him to a dance.  As his mom, I had to give him the facts:  THAT is how it IS and he was making a mistake.

He thought I didn't know what I was talking about!  (After all, I've never been a teenage girl???!!???)   He claimed it was just another one of my crazy "theories" that I was using on him to get him to do what I wanted.  I told him I KNEW.  I was one of those mad girls myself before....but he thinks I'm just an anomaly, so what I experienced can't possibly be applied to the normal female population in general.  So, in the end, he DID NOT go to the Homecoming Dance.

And the day after the dance when he started hearing from all his peers who did go, he WISHED HE WOULD'VE.  He regretted not going.  (What did I tell him?)

And then come December, the next school dance was scheduled....he did not get asked to the Girl's Choice Christmas Dance.  (surprise, surprise.)  Yet, he would still not recognize - or admit - that "Mother knows best."  He came up with other excuses for being "passed up" - none of which was accepting it was a direct result of him not asking anyone a few months earlier.

Because he was sorry he missed out on Homecoming, I informed him that I was not going to let him chicken out of the next boys' choice dance, Valentine's Dance.  He said he wanted to go.  I told him if he had not asked someone by (such & such date), I was going to PICK the girl myself and ask her for him.  He actually replied, "Oh, Thanks.  That would really take a load off!"  He ended up taking care of asking a girl before the deadline, so he did not need my "services" after all.  :)  As recorded in my last post, he actually went on the date last Saturday.  Good job!  He had redeemed himself in the eyes of High School girls.

AND THEN just 5 DAYS LATER, by way of a year's supply of Mountain Dew, a girl asked him to the next Girl's Choice dance (which is in 4 1/2 weeks).

COINCIDENCE?!?

I think (know) not! 
And Ryan [privately] concurs, too.   
{smile}

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Suzanne,

In your blog you mentioned you were writing for the two people who would read your Blog "hi Mom and Dad". Well Linda and I are sitting at the computer reading and laughing at your cute Blog, so we did read it and were entertained.

Love,

Mom and Dad