*We celebrated Valentine's Day with our traditional dinner with our kiddos on Thursday night, since many of us had plans on Friday.
Unfortunately, Ryan's missing dinner with us a lot lately due to work and studying. :(
I guess it's getting us ready for when he goes on his mission! :)
(And we watched some Olympics)
* For Valentine's Day, the 6th Graders at our Elementary School
always do a lip sync for their "party."
Matt & I went and saw Haylee's group perform,
"Let it Go" from the movie, Frozen.
* While I was in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, Matt sent me a text, Can I reserve you Feb. 14-15? I jokingly replied that I was already busy that day........
Duh! OF COURSE, he could "reserve" me!!
He gave me instructions to pack an overnight bag, but no other details. Matt came home from work early and we started heading north in the car. After a while, he had me open an "agenda" printed on pink paper and folded into a "scroll".......later I saw he'd set up a "gift basket" in our hotel room.
We had reservations at the Marriott in Logan
which included the Valentine's Day dinner buffet at the adjoining restaurant.
(We'd been to that restaurant 2 weeks ago at his Grandma's 90th birthday party, and I saw the signs advertising this Valentine's Day event. HE saw ME looking/reading the signs, so he decided to book it for us!) The boy is SMART -- I've trained him well! ;) haha.
There was a ton of things on the spread, but my favorites were:
hummus & crostini's
lettuce wraps
stuffed mushrooms
asparagus - with a yummy cheese sauce
coconut shrimp w/ sweet chili/mango dipping sauce
Prime Rib
Matt had about 254 chilled shrimp & 59 coconut shrimps and topped it off with 6 desserts!
Then we ROLLED back up to our hotel room......... ;)
(And we watched some Olympics)
* I totally slept in on Saturday morning until 11:00ish!
(Of course, I'd stayed up way late the night before)
* The "plan" was to go to BREAKFAST at The Crepery,
but due to my late rising, we hit the LUNCH rush there instead - still VERY good!
There were these delightful hanging chairs to sit in while we ate my savory crepe.
There were these delightful hanging chairs to sit in while we ate my savory crepe.
(It made me want to buy my own crepe maker!)
*Since we were in Logan (the place we met & dated) we decided to visit a few of our old stomping grounds! First Stop: A & W for root beer floats.
(Although the big fireplace in the middle with bar seating surrounding it has since been removed.) ;(
Now THEY really know how to do a float! ;)
(Although the big fireplace in the middle with bar seating surrounding it has since been removed.) ;(
Now THEY really know how to do a float! ;)
*Then we went up to the campus of Utah State University, the place
of Matt & I's first meeting (Fall 1993). We walked around
and found the classroom in Old Main where we had our
We're real nerdy sentimental like that!
(It was DEAD, though. What? Everyone wants to stay OFF campus on a Saturday? Everyone at the Aggies basketball game?)
There has been so many changes/additions to the campus....it was kinda sad for us,
we feel like we want it to remain the same, but we understand it has to grow with
its student body and the times!
(Back in our day, we didn't even have all this technology stuff that needed rooms & buildings to house it! Email was new. I didn't even use it, yet, but I knew of some real "cutting edge brains" who were experimenting with it!) :)
* We stopped by Gossner's and stocked up on some Cookies 'n' Cream and Strawberry shelf stable milk.
Our plan was to just put it in the cold storage room, without telling the kids we had purchased some more,
and see how long it took them to discover it.........since they can't seem to NOTICE the same DANG dirty sock & Fun Dip wrapper that has been sitting on the floor/cedar chest/window sill for A WHOLE WEEK.
They found it in less than 24 hours!
* We went to DownEast Home looking for some chairs for the Great Room.
The problem with this store is that, while I like their stuff, they only have ONE chair
of a particular kind....and I'm looking for TWO!
We ran into Matt's aunt & cousins there, though! Fun! That's very likely to happen in Cache Valley!
We ran into Matt's aunt & cousins there, though! Fun! That's very likely to happen in Cache Valley!
* We drove towards home by way of Brigham City (the place of our first residence when we got married)
and ate dinner at Peach City.
* As soon as we got home, I started making treats for Ryan's dance group, who were
coming to our home after the Valentine's dance.
Ryan's Sunday School teacher had lent him his sports car convertible for the dance, and unfortunately, kids from his rival high school (I'll say it - it was the DAVIS DARTS! Sore losers from their basketball loss the night before, I guess) had come into the parking lot during the dance and put peanut butter, egg, and mustard all over a bunch of cars - including the one Ryan had borrowed! OH NO! NOT COOL!! So, the first item of business was washing cars when they first arrived at our home.
10 couples came!
(And we watched some Olympics while preparing)
{Ryan & Abby - they made their shirts}Ryan's Sunday School teacher had lent him his sports car convertible for the dance, and unfortunately, kids from his rival high school (I'll say it - it was the DAVIS DARTS! Sore losers from their basketball loss the night before, I guess) had come into the parking lot during the dance and put peanut butter, egg, and mustard all over a bunch of cars - including the one Ryan had borrowed! OH NO! NOT COOL!! So, the first item of business was washing cars when they first arrived at our home.
10 couples came!
This is what is looks like [in shoes]. ;)
* Sunday morning, I had myYW class presidency meeting before church at my home - WITH cinnamon rolls.
{Ya gotta get 'em there!}
* Churchy Church on Sunday.
Ryan actually spoke in Sacrament Meeting -- an assignment I knew nothing about, and Ryan had
actually FORGOTTEN until 1 hour before the meeting started! That was when
he woke up and still had to shower/dress.
We, his parents, could tell it was "on the fly" and, at times, he was just "filling time", but quite a few people came up to him and us afterwards and said how great he did and they were impressed with his ability to do it last minute.
(Let's just say his High School Debate team experience competing in the "Impromptu" category really paid off!)
I taught THIS lesson in Young Women and handed out this candy quote card:
(On orange cardstock because that is the color that goes with the YW value, "choice & accountability")
I taught THIS lesson in Young Women and handed out this candy quote card:
(On orange cardstock because that is the color that goes with the YW value, "choice & accountability")
* Dinner and FHE at the Brenchley's.
We got to stay later than normal because of NO SCHOOL on Monday.
(We came home and watched some Olympics)
* On Monday, Matt had the day off work for President's Day, so we got serious about looking for some chairs. We went to three stores and found a couple of things
WE WEREN'T SHOPPING FOR, and were seriously considering buying,
but then we figured we better get Matt fed before we made a major purchase.....
WE WEREN'T SHOPPING FOR, and were seriously considering buying,
but then we figured we better get Matt fed before we made a major purchase.....
(because those who know him, know he CANNOT FUNCTION when he goes too long without food!
I KNOW! It happened the first few times I was in labor, having a baby.....because my labors last SO FREAKIN' LONG, and he didn't want to leave the hospital room.
We finally learned our lesson and started packing food for him or mapping out the local eateries ahead of time!) ;)
OK - back to the weekend.
OK - back to the weekend.
*Lunch at C & B Maddox in Layton
Their menu has the same turkey steaks and fried chicken that is served at my favorite restaurant,
Maddox Ranch House, which happens to be [too] far away.
So, we can eat there and it "hits the spot" - AND I get my Maddox Turkey Steak fix!
* So, then we returned to chair shopping.
We found just ONE (of course) at this furniture store, but they were able to find ANOTHER one at a different location.
{Score!}
So, we now have one less empty space in our home.
(I've left the tags on them because I have "commitment" issue, I guess!)
Because of the pattern, we are either calling them the "eyeball" chairs
or the "UTES" chairs. (See the "U" in the middle - and they're more red than this pic depicts!)
So, we now have one less empty space in our home.
(I've left the tags on them because I have "commitment" issue, I guess!)
Because of the pattern, we are either calling them the "eyeball" chairs
or the "UTES" chairs. (See the "U" in the middle - and they're more red than this pic depicts!)
* I was getting multiple texts & calls from the kids asking what was for dinner, so
we stopped by Panda Express and got the Family Meal for take out on our
way back home.
* We had Family Night and Haylee gave a lesson on stealing.
She shared a story out of The Friend magazine about a girl who stole a pop out of a cooler
at a public place - and THEN felt awful, etc. etc......
OK, so we all agreed that THAT example IS stealing and is wrong.....BUT we are a house
divided on the subject of whether or not it is considered stealing if you take something [that's not yours] from your OWN house.
NAMELY: Us parents say it is stealing. If it is NOT yours, it's not yours. AND it's not yours!!! End of story.
The kids say it is not stealing. [BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONES DOING IT, THAT'S WHY!]
They claim that since they didn't KNOW whose the (fill in the blank with whatever it was they took) was, AND it was just laying out in plain sight when they took it,
that they did not "steal."
They claim that since they didn't KNOW whose the (fill in the blank with whatever it was they took) was, AND it was just laying out in plain sight when they took it,
that they did not "steal."
{Do you understand their logic? Because I don't!}
When presented with that argument,
I asked, "Was it yours?"
I asked, "Was it yours?"
Them: "No."
Me: "But you took it anyway...."
Them: "Ya, so?"
Me: "But you took it anyway...."
Them: "Ya, so?"
Me: "Then it's stealing."
Them: "No it's not."
Me: "Let's look at the definition of stealing:
to take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
What do you think?!?
If they won't take it from their parents, will they at least believe Webster?!?
(Oh! And we watched some more Olympics)
(Oh! And we watched some more Olympics)












No comments:
Post a Comment