I have this little sign in my home:
It speaks the plain truth!
(Although no one wants to admit it!)
- My two youngest daughters think it IS ABSURD that I tell them to put their shoes away, WHEN they take them off, in their closet, that it will make their life (& mine) so much easier. (At least, I'm assuming they think it's absurd since they totally ignore my counsel on this matter.) AND THEN, they frequently get to experience the mad dash, frantic searching, & whining/tears which comes from not being able to find their shoes - and often still produces no shoes - and results in being late to school, church, & dance lessons.
- Since Friday is "early out" from school and really the only day that works out to play with friends after school, I tell my oldest daughter that she should do all of her reading before school, so she is free to play after. Well, apparently it's another absurd idea because it's much more fun to just hang around doing nothing before school! AND THEN, she has this one friend who seriously calls to play THE MINUTE she walks in the door from school. And guess what?!? She can't play since her reading is not done. This is followed by MUCH weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth!
- My friend's daughter's basketball team had a couple players get injured and they were now short on players and asked about my daughter playing with them. When I mentioned it to her, she protested, I don't want to play! I told her it would be fun and she would be good - she's quite tall, after all. Her sports lovin' older brother actually told her she didn't have a choice, that she WOULD play ball! ;) She went out in the garage to practice dribbling, and she tripped over some boards and fell down, so she shouted/cried at me, You should've never gotten me into this! I told her not to trip on boards - there wouldn't be any on a real basketball court - and that she needs to try it and she would have a good time. AND THEN, she did go play in the basketball game. She was all smiles whenever she looked at us in the "stands" and beaming afterwards. Her first words to me at the end of the game? "I want to sign up to play basketball next year!!"
- I tell my family to keep their elbows off the table. They think I'm being too proper, that I'm obsessed with "old school" manners in our own home. AND THEN, we average 9.2 spills a week.
- I function by the "A place for everything and everything in it's place" idea and like to tell my family members this quote. NO ONE else in my home buys into this. Why would they? It's SO MUCH easier to just drop things along the way without paying any attention. AND THEN, *someone's* wallet is ALWAYS missing (along with all their money!) when they need to go somewhere with it.
- I've suggested an "after school routine" for my very distractable, can't-remember-what-she's-doing-when-she-walks-from-one-room-to-the-next daughter. It goes like this:
4:00 Arrive Home
4-4:15 After school snack
4:15-4:30 ONE page of assigned homework
4:30-4:50 Practice piano
4:50-5:10 Read
So, by 5:15, she is DONE with EVERYTHING, and FREE to do whatever she wants until bedtime!!!
She has chosen NOT to adhere to this whatsoever UP UNTIL last week (when we had to have a "duct tape intervention." Meaning we took all 23 rolls away from her until she could go a week demonstrating responsibility & initiative.) So, she follows the schedule, and she discovers what "free time" with no checking up from parents feels like - what a novel idea!!! And she says to me, "This is so great! Why haven't I been doing this all along?!?"
- But, probably THE BIGGEST "I told you so" incidences that's been on my mind [almost constantly] this week has something to do with the fact that after being a 3 car family for just a mere 5 1/2 weeks, we are back to being a 2 car family. This is a result of our 3rd car now being deemed "undriveable" due to its extensive damage it has sustained by it's *driver* who was driving it in a way that was contrary to the ways I had always told them to drive! Let alone, what really COULD HAVE happened to the *driver* if they weren't so
luckyblessed to come out unharmed - at least physically!!! But, what do I know? I grew up in the 80's! (*that person's* favorite line to say to me.) As if "defensive driving" was ONLY applicable when I was in my youth!?!
Grrrrrr!
What do they say? You learn 20% of what your hear, but 80% of what you experience. You have to experience it to learn it.
And then it still comes back to this:


No comments:
Post a Comment