The other night at Cub Scout Pack Meeting, I saw a tremendous example of parenting/handling a "Spirited Child." ;) (i.e. fiery, hyper, nervy, catch my drift?) In the moment, it made me go, "Wow!" Since then, it has left me thinking about it a lot - I want to be more like her.
There is a boy who attends our cub scout pack meetings (and used to be in my specific den for a short time) who, admittedly, I have kind of tagged as, "difficult." He happened to be in my daughter's school class, as well, and she says that the teacher/students also have similar impressions of him. I know, we shouldn't "label." I have witnessed several things that have influenced my feelings...
I have seen him throwing temper tantrums to get his way.
I have observed how he acts with other kids; pushy, aggressive, obnoxious, reckless.
One time, in a different pack meeting, when another boy was being "spotlighted," this particular cub scout stood up and loudly verbalized his disagreement with an accomplishment that had been shared about the spotlighted boy. During his protest, he was pointing at the kid, face turning red, and then told how he himself was better than the spotlighted boy. (It was one of those times where I was sitting there thinking, "Oh my word, is THIS really happening?")
At school, my daughter says how he has these moments where "he's about to explode" and the kids are always trying to do "damage control" to stop or get out of these situations when they're happening.
I know! Labeling is a no-no. This is what happens when you're a perceptive, discerning, people-watcher like myself! I put all the pieces together and come up with a description. I need a change of attitude; to always think THE BEST of everyone. But, if the shoe fits.....
Anyway, back to the pack meeting the other night. Recently, the cub scout program has all changed. Our cub committee chairman (who happens to be the above mentioned boy's mother) was standing up front explaining, in an optimistic, enthusiastic way, some of the changes, including the pins that the Webelos scouts earn for finishing their requirements now. This boy piped up and loudly "informed" us all that the old pins were way cooler than the new pins; that the new pins were, in fact, lame! He also broadcast in his know-it-all voice that the whole old program, in general, is better than the new one and because of that, he is going to do the old program, still. (implying that anyone who pursues the new program is dumb!)
When this happened, I got all concerned that the other scouts, especially the younger ones, were going to be swayed by his negative words and not be satisfied with, or worse, despise cub scouts going forward.
I wanted to put my hand over his mouth so he couldn't say anything else and cause any more wreckage.
I, instinctively, thought a reprimanding for his public [mis]behavior was in order, as well.
I wished we could "rewind" that incident and strike it from that Pack Meeting record.
That's because my impulses precede my "calm, cool, & collected" abilities. (IF I have any!)
But, luckily, our cub committee chairman and his mother has honed her skills in dealing with him. She calmly waited until he was done with his rant, then she "educated" him. She plainly stated, "OK, that is an opinion." And it was HIS opinion. And other's may have and are welcome to their own opinion; and that the others may really like the new pins, and even think they're, in fact, cooler. She pointed out that he is very "loyal" to the old program and we can work on becoming more "loyal" to the new program.
That immediately shushed him.
And then she continued her explanation (because she was interrupted by him before) of some of the details regarding the new pins, including a new feature and symbolism of them which were special and exclusive to the new program.
To which her son (apparently having "seen the light" now) asked, "Can I get those?"
To which she answered, "No. You are staying with the old program, remember?" ;) hahaha.
ANYWAY, I thought that was so notable! When my children (or someone else) are argumentative, or opposing, or dispute everything I say, or speaks against whatever it is, INSTEAD OF basically telling them to "keep their trap shut," I can simply point out that what they are saying is "an opinion."
Because it is. That's ALL it is. And opinions are not right or wrong. I like that approach for dealing with the "difficult." I'm grateful for examples I have out there, and the lesson I learned that evening.
OK. Practice:
"That is an opinion."
"That is your opinion."
"Others may have a different opinion."
"That is an opinion."
That is your opinion."
"Others may have a different opinion."
"That is an opinion."
Did you know you have to hear/see/repeat something 7 times before you remember it?!? ;)
1 week ago


No comments:
Post a Comment