HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY, RYAN!!!
For Ryan's Birthday, I thought I'd write "13" random facts about him. Unbeknowst to many of you, there IS more to him than just his L.O.V.E. of THE UTES!! (Shocker!) Although, that part was still INTENSE enough that it caused some of our BYU neighbors to move out of town!! :) - I promise, she even wrote it in her Christmas card!! hee hee, Angie.
1. Ryan has a "photographic memory." (is that what you call it?)
Once he reads something, he remembers it! Whether it's WWII stories, song titles & their artist, world countries (location & names), book plots, movie release details, sports stats, etc. This especially comes in handy when he's had lines in plays!!
2. Ryan is "Accident Prone."
Taking an ax to his foot, getting concussions at recess, knocking down things, 4-wheeler rollovers, getting hurt at parties, Young Men's, the park - ANYWHERE! If I didn't think it would be psychologically damaging, I'd still make him drink from a sippy cup because he just CANNOT seem to keep his beverage from spilling - EVER!!
3. Ryan is a diligent shower taker.
He really took the Maturation Program speech to heart! Ever since then, he WILL NOT miss a day. (Must be his father's son!) He is also known to shower multiple times a day if he has exercised, worked, gone camping, eaten an apple (that's a messy job w/ him - see #2). Man, that speech was soo impressionable, I think I need to request that guy to deliver some of MY speeches about Saturday jobs, practicing the piano, noticing a mess - and doing something about it, etc! :)
4. Ryan has two volumes.
Loud and LOUDER. Matt blames this one on the Fowers side! :)
5. Ryan is a Science/History/Geography/Social Studies/Math WHIZ.
I'll claim passing down the Math part, but I DO NOT have anything to do with the others! See #1 and that explains a lot of his success, I bet!
6. Ryan is a bit a of Risk Taker/likes "living on the edge."
He gets such a RUSH from roller coasters and "rocket-type" rides. He always tries to be the one shown up on the JumboTron when the "Dance Cam" is on. He finds some sort of thrill in holding out on doing homework until the night before it's due. OR in getting ready/arriving somewhere THE MINUTE he is supposed to. I think he thrives on seeing if he can beat a deadline!
7. Ryan is a "Sports Buff."
He can read, watch, play or talk about sports anytime, anywhere. He has become keen to the fact that his father also like a good sports chat, and Ryan will engage him in one around bedtime and thus, get away with an extra 1/2 hr. or so that he doesn't have to go to bed! (Matt is oblivious to this "tactic.") Ryan would say his favorite place to be in the summer is at the Ball Park here in town. A few years ago, the Reflections theme at school was, "My Favorite Place" and Ryan just wanted to take a photo of the Ball Park - that says it all for him. He hopes to get a job UMP-ing there this year!
8. Ryan has an intense fear of sharks.
This is very valid seems as we live so close to a shark-infested body of water and he goes swimming there all the time! :)
9. Ryan is extremely social. (Must be his mother's son!)
He completely welcomed the opportunity to go to Jr. High and meet/make friends with new kids from the 3 other Elementary Schools that feed into his. He stays after events (and is one of the last ones there) to talk to people - much to his father's dismay! He yells, "Hi, ____!" out the window to people we pass in the car. He delights in attending activities/social gatherings. He actually likes doing the Fast Offerings & passing out fliers as part of his Deacon duties because he wants to "be out among the people!"
10. Ryan is a "picky eater."
Only Haylee beats him in this category. Once he was staying at my brother's house and they grilled hamburgers. My SIL was utterly flabbergasted that he wouldn't eat one! Seriously. What kid doesn't like hamburgers? Ryan. I am happy to say that he is finally eating cheeseburgers (not hamburgers) and steak now. He continues to pick out black beans, green peppers, peas & the such out of my home-cooked meals.
11. Ryan has never watched a PG-13 rated movie.
Because he has never been 13 yrs. old. Until now. (It will still not be a PG-13 "free-for-all." All movies are still subject to Parent's approval!) He has been carefully weighing the options over the years as to what PG-13 movie he will watch first on his 13th Birthday! The winner? Star Wars Episode III ~ Revenge of the Sith. In fact, when we announced to our children that this year we were taking them to Disneyland on their birthday (you get in free on your B-day in 2009), Ryan looked a little glum. The reason? "I was planning on watching Star Wars on my birthday," he said. Really? Disneyland. Star Wars. Disneyland....hmmm...(We will be taking a lap top & DVD with us!)
12. Ryan likes earning money!
When he was about 9, he set up a "Snack Shack" in our front yard and drummed up some good business. With the money he made, he first paid for the cost of the goods and then paid his "Buyer/Supplier" (me) a "kick back" for my work - and still made a handsome profit. Now he relies on babysitting to earn his money (since the Tooth Fairy always forgets and his allowance is meager!) He likes to dream up ways to earn money. Lately, he especially likes the perk at the Credit Union where he gets "free" money deposited into a Savings account for his good grades!
13. Ryan wants to do "something fun" for a job when he grows up.
Like his Uncle Brett. He is in Marketing and gets to "wine & dine," entertain, and play with prospective Reps. And then takes the Top Performers on cruises.
WE LOVE YOU, RYAN!!!
(Any advise - or sympathy - from those of you who've done/survived the teenager thing?!?)
I'm still denying I'm old enough to have a teenager!
Check out "This week's Gratitude List" on my sidebar - it is dedicated to Ryan.




11 comments:
Hope you had a great birthday trip. Sounds like a blast!
Ryan, the Gregson family sure thinks you're a pretty great kid. Stay that way! Thanks for being a good friend to Kennedy!
First off, very disturbing that Ryan is a teenager! I will always think of him as a little primary boy!
Second, I have yet to tell this to anybody but our neighbor, across the street, it a huge Ute fan.
Happy Birthday Ryan! We personally think Ryan is the coolest kid!! He is so adorable with my boys and I'm always so impressed with what a good brother he is. You must have done something right!!
Happy Birthday Ryan! I loved reading all these fun things about Ryan. I knew many of them, but I had no idea he has a photographic memory. That is absolutely amazing to me. I also share the extreme fear of sharks.
I think he definitely takes after his mom in the social department. We love having Ryan babysit, he is still the best one we have had! We are so glad you are the oldest cousin, so our boys can look up to you and follow your great example. We love you Ryan and hope you had a blast at Disneyland!!
I'm just letting bloggers know I have another give-away contest running on my blog this week at Not Entirely British.
THREE prizes this time - books and a CD from LDS author/speaker Sarah Hinze. Here's a snippet from her website: "Sarah's own healing experience prompted her and her husband, Brent Hinze, Ph.D., to embark on their search nearly twenty years ago. For two decades, she interviewed individuals and chronicled what she calls "prebirth experiences," or communication from children before they are born. Her work has provided solid evidence that unborn children can warn, protect, and enlighten us from another plane of existence."
Happy Birthday Ryan! Let him know that those "Fun Jobs" also work in the evenings and weekends and travel during the summers and the reps call you at all hours of every day...you don't have any other life, right! It's all good!
Happy Birthday Ryan! We love hearing all your stories when we see you. You are so cute with our kids, they all have a blast with you. We love you!
Happy Birthday Ryan! Hope you had a blast on your trip! We miss you! We have always enjoyed spending time w/ you b/c you make us laugh!
No Comment,other then Mom I do eat hamburgars but if you have cheese it really makes things better.
by "No comment" I mean "Enough said."
Suz, this is such an awesome post! You are a great mom, so no wonder why you got such a great kid! Happy birthday, Ryan!
Post a Comment