
What are your Valentine's Day traditions?
Every year, I'm always wondering what I should do for Valentine's Day. I guess we have no "traditions." So far I've done something different each time - I suppose that's the "tradition" - does that count as one? I try things and then, because of the lack of extreme excitement or appreciation from my family I don't deem it worth the work/effort the following years. Is this another one of my "commitment issues?" This makes it harder on me since I have to keep "reinventing the wheel." Sometimes it's just too exhausting to be so creative!! :)
Here's what we've (I've) done in the past:
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- CHOCOLATE - this tradition stems from when I was in Japan. February 14th is not called, "Valentine's Day," but is called "Girl's Day." The tradition is that GIRLS give chocolate to BOYS. There was chocolate EVERYTHING in the stores around this time. Chocolate shaped trucks, balls, houses, tennis rackets, money, beer cans, toilet paper, flags, fruit, Pokemon, baskets, etc. etc. But, don't worry...there was a "Boy's Day" later in the year (I think March?) to make things equal - but the boys gave girls toys or kites or something (Chocolate would be MUCH better!) So, I ALMOST always do the "Girl's Day" chocolate thing! But, I still don't stick to the same thing with this either, I try to think of a different chocolate idea every year - not as much to choose from in the USA!
- Make & decorate heart sugar cookies with frosting & sprinkles/candy. We do this a lot - but not EVERY year, so I still can't qualify it as a "tradition." This year? CHECK!
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- Papa Murphy's heart-shaped pizza for dinner
- I even bought a baking pan that has 5 big heart shapes in it - one year I made brownies in it, decorated them & put one on a dessert plate for every one's place at the dinner table.
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- Mandarin Take-out for dinner - we made sure to CALL right at 5:00PM to order! We put down a Valentine-y table cloth, sprinkled valentine confetti on the table and called it good!
- Make homemade Valentines with card stock, die cuts, glue, & stickers and then give them away.
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- Eat off/drink from Valentine-themed paper products for dinner.
- Have a "red" dinner. All the food is red - strawberries, red punch, apples, red grapes, spaghetti, red jell-o, etc. I really am NOT fond of spaghetti & jell-o, though, (together or separate) so I didn't really like this one. What other red foods are there?
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- Made chocolate-dipped Oreos, pressed valentine sprinkles/decorations into the chocolate & put in a sucker stick - gave some away & kept some for us.
- I put together treat/goodie bags (that have hearts or something valentine-ish printed on them) and put them at every one's place setting - another year I put them on their beds.
- Cherry Ju Ju Hearts
- I'll spare you the details of ways Matt & I celebrate...;D Come to think of it, that Very Sexy cologne from Victoria's Secret I fed his addiction with DOES have a purpose after all!! :)
- When I was young, I remember our doorbell ringing all evening on Valentine's Day. When we'd answer it, no one was there, but there'd be a valentine(s) on the porch. This was always fun to pick them up and see who they were for. Without fail, sometime during the evening, there would be a PILE of presents, wrapped in red or pink tissue paper & tied up with ribbon, on the front porch when we answered the doorbell. These were from a secret "Cupid." I was always excited for this part of Valentine's Day, even though it was usually a package of underwear or socks for myself & each of my siblings - it was NEVER treats, my mom thought candy was "of the devil." (Thus, my current status as a sugar-aholic!) The thing that was so magical about it was that we thought it was my Mom doing it, but when we'd answer the door and squeal in delight, she'd be walking up behind us asking, "What is it?" So how could it be her? Come to find out later...she was sneaky...in one of our houses, there was a porch that went across the entire front and one of the bedroom windows was there, too. She'd climb out the window, leave the presents on the porch, ring the doorbell, and run back to climb in the window before the door was answered, walk back down the hall and be behind us when we brought them in! In the next house, there was actually a door that went into the garage at the other end of the porch, so she'd just go in there & enter the house through another door. Even though I LOVED this so much, I just don't think my kids would be thrilled with underwear - I feel like it takes SO MUCH MORE to please them - what happened to the simple pleasures of "the good 'ol days?"
- Matt & I have sometimes gone out on a date, depending on the year. I remember one very well - Valentine's Day 1996, we went out to Chili's. I was DUE with Ryan on 2/15- the next day (but didn't end up having the 10 lb. baby until 2/25!) So, you can IMAGINE how HUGE I was. Well, the seating hostess girl takes us to a booth...with an immovable table & bench. And I did NOT fit! Yep, it's true, I could not even slide in. And she says, "Oh, whoops! I thought we had pretty big booths." What was that girl thinkin'?!? Note to any restaurant staff out there - do not put pregnant chicks in a booth! We had to be re-assigned to a table with [forgiving] chairs! This year? Not lookin' too good since I still have to work. :(
As you may have gathered, I'm very fond of Cherry Ju Ju Hearts - they have to be the Sweet's brand, though. But, if you don't get them early enough, they sell out and are no where to be found! So, again, not a "tradition" since some years I was unfortunate enough not to get them. This year? CHECK! I got them 4 weeks ago in St. George!
Anywhoo...I'm sure y'all have some good nuggets of Valentine's Day wisdom...and I ask you to share!! Otherwise I'll have to come up with "PLAN O" or keep using one of my "tried-once-or-twice-&-bagged-it" methods. But, I think I'm ready for a TRADITION! (subject to Family's reaction, of course!)


8 comments:
I think it's way funny that you like Cherry Ju Ju hearts. I L.O.V.E them! In fact... I can't buy them. Seriously. I bought a bag of them to share on Saturday and just about ate the whole bag. You can't just have one! mmm. Maybe I'll get some. Happy V-day, sounds like you have lots of fun!!
Cherry Ju Ju's huh? I am a cake girl, all the way. I think Valentines is more of a family holiday once you have kids. We like making Valentines and cookies. I miss that kids don't deliver valentines anymore. I think we might do that this year.
I don't even remember the last time Jared and I had a date on that day. It's not worth it. We don't really do gifts, but I might just make a trip to VS for the cologne.....hubba hubba!
I love the story of your mom climbing through the window. She was pretty adventurous! I always make heart-shaped pancakes in the morning for breakfast. This year I will be making them red by adding beets. (a little something I learned from the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. Shhhhhh, don't tell! You have done some fun things, I think I'll try to buy some Cherry Ju Ju Hearts.
We always do pink pancakes on V-day morning but not with beets.....I just go with red food coloring. Last year I put strawberries on top because for some strange reason they were on sale. But I'm wondering if G-ma Degn did the ring the doorbell thing, because my parents did that too!!! But we found poems for each kid on the hearts on the porch with a scavenger hunt to find our V-day stash (usually something red like a shirt, treats, bubbly and chocolate or something). I TRY not to make too many traditions myself though because 1) I always saw my mom so burned out from being "tied" to them and 2) it makes me not obligated if I don't feel up to it. I like switching it up.
Never tried the Cherry Ju Jus. Sounds like I better not start.
I want some hot ju ju hearts! Sweets makes them but they don't sell them in the midwest. I have been thinking about them all month. Stay with the switching things up, it makes it a mystery.
I always thought it was Dad doing the door bell ditching. Mom was playing the innocent detour so Dad could get back in through the ways mentioned. Jake asks now, "Do I really have to give the kids underwear? What did your Dad do once you were a teenager for Valentines." Good thing we do sock and underwear as stocking stuffers in the Bingham household.
I do the "fancy-candle light dinner" for the family on Valentine's night. We had heart pizza last night. The kids had a new red and/or pink shirt to wear to school today. I love the present on the doorstep tradition. Since you love Sweets candy so much, have you toured the factory? It's out by the airport. We did it last summer...fun summer road trip :)
Well if you really want to know.... We took a much needed get-away trip - to St. George for baseball - with a great 6 1/2 hour "bonding" - white-knuckled drive down there through the blizzard on Thursday night.... oh yeah - back to Valentines day - we had a very ROMANTIC valentines day - Marty spent all day fixing my mom's sprinkling system in St. George - with a few very romantic trips to the local hardware store to buy more parts - and the evening was topped of with a very romantic candlelight (or not) dinner at Chuck-a-Rama with the Hagers - and millions of other hungry soccer and baseball players in St. George - a one in a million Valentine day! We're big on celebrating...... uh yeah right!
Post a Comment