Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Son, the Radio Announcer

I volunteered at the Jr. High yesterday at "Reality Town." I had to be there at 7:30 in the morning and I was so tempted to just roll out of bed and go in my jammies after 3 hrs. of sleep, but I had Ryan's emotional welfare in mind, so I DID get showered, dressed, & ready before appearing at his school.



Reality Town is a program that provides students with a hands-on simulation in which they make lifestyle and budget decisions, as they take on careers, salaries, families and associated responsibilities of the adult world.

Students come to Reality Town dressed up and are given a career and salary based on their current GPA. They are also given a "life scenario" with a family situation and the assignment to pay all the bills of the month. They are expected to live within the means of their monthly income.

At the end of Reality Town, students [are suppose to] reflect on the experience. Did they save or lose money? Is this how they'd really live? How does education correlate with income? This program is a great way to teach students the importance of budgeting, career choices, math skills, check writing, and other hands on skills. (This is not offered at all schools, we are really lucky to have this program at ours.)

I worked at the "car dealership." The students came to me to purchase their car. The types of cars ranged from old Toyota Camrys (Hey! Mine is awesome!) to new Ford Escape Hybrids. We would also "buy back" their car (for a lower price, of course) if later they returned after finding out that they really couldn't afford it (or the insurance.) We also sold bus passes for those who could not afford a car at all.

It was really fun and entertaining.


Does this dude look like a Radio Announcer?
Because that's the "career" Ryan ended up getting. I was surprised to find out that Radio Announcers do not make a ton of money! I didn't know that. I guess I assumed they did since they're kind of celebrities, aren't they? And "famous people" are rich, right?!

Well, lucky for Ryan, his "wife" brought in $2,000/month to add to their income! I was teasing Ryan about his salary...I wondered WHY with his high GPA, he wasn't making much $$$$. (He had to inform the [shocked] people standing around that I was his Mom, so it would explain my interaction with him - good thing I got dressed!) I guess they were given a list of choices within their "college degree" (based on GPA), and Ryan selected a Pharmacist as his first choice, but there was too much demand, so he got his 2nd or 3rd choice - which really interests him. We learned not all jobs are created equal, even with equal education/degrees. So, you have to weigh it out...would you rather make a lot of money doing something you hate OR make less money doing something you love?

Anyway, I encouraged him to do something about improving his salary. So, he went to his "boss" (the school counselor) and pretty much told her that he was "worth more" than what he was making, being on the High Honor Roll and all. The "boss" agreed and approved a $1,000/month raise for him! :) SWEET!!

There was a "donations" booth where all students had to visit and at least make a $10 donation to some charity. I was proud of Ryan that he paid $442.00 in tithing on his own at this booth when a lot of others were trying to get away with just the bare minimum. He was "blessed" since his bank account ended up in the positive still at the end of the month! :)
He saved money by opting for dial-up Internet and only the basic cable package. I disagree with him on this. I'd rather have DSL/high speed Internet over any T.V. channels - hands down!

Here are some other highlights....

  • One "30 Yr. old male" had no formal education, so his monthly pay was a little over $1,000. He came to me and wanted to buy a brand new Toyota Tacoma truck. His "life scenario" indicated that they already had one car that was paid for, but was used by his spouse. This purchase cost him $803! He still had to get housing, pay utilities, groceries, health care, taxes, insurance, etc, etc. I just kind of thought to myself, "Good Luck!" Needless, to say, he came back needing to sell his truck later. He wanted to buy the used Honda Odyssey instead. Because of the price depreciation, that'd only get him $166 more back in his bank account. I strongly suggested the bus pass to him (which I know was out of character and is not a regular car salesman practice). He was not thrilled with this option, but that's the REALITY of what he could afford! :)


  • Another "30 yr. old male" had some money left over and was thinking about buying another (3rd) car with it. [Off the record, and out of line, again, for a car salesman, I tried to get him to think of other ways to spend his cash] I asked if he'd gone over to the "Personal Care & Grooming" booth yet and got some salon/spa services for his "wife." His exact words were, "I'm not gonna waste my money on her!" To which I replied, "Well, I just figured out where you'll be spending that extra money! Head on over to the "Health Care" booth since you'll be needing some Marriage Therapy!" :)


  • One of my female customers was the sole bread winner in her "family." She indicated to me that her husband was "a bum" and made $0. Because of that she was asking for the cheapest car available. I asked her, "Why did you marry a BUM?!?" She said, "I don't know, but I'm SOOO mad at him! We're gonna have a serious conversation out back tonight. And if he doesn't change, I'm gonna kick him right out of our trashy trailer!" :)


  • Heard on the scene at Reality Town - "Can we put up some kids for adoption and get some money back? They cost too much!" ;)


  • One guy made a ton of money and was single (maybe that's why he had money?). He mentioned everyone always asks him why he wasn't married, yet. I gave him some "motherly advise" and WARNED him against those "gold diggers" out there! :)


  • And last, but not least...I've got a fine catch for any of you out there with, say 9-15 yr. old daughters (my own don't fall in that category, so I'm opening it up to the public.) There was THE CUTEST (for an 8th grader) boy who came to the "car dealership" who happened to be an "Attorney" (thanks to his GPA & prudent career choice) so he made plenty of money! His wife also made $500/month at whatever side job she did, but he said that was just hers to go to lunch with her friends, or go shopping, or go on Girls' Night Outs/retreats/trips, etc! He was buying a Mustang - which he realized was not a practical family car, but they already had another car to use for the family - this was for he & his wife to date in! Did I mention he was CUTE?! He also said he bought his wife manicures and they're going on a cruise! His leftover money is just going to be used as a "safety cushion." He was wearing a "Called to Serve" tie, also! Yes, a very FINE boy - er, uh, "30 yr. old man" indeed.
So, stay tuned...you may be hearing Ryan's voice over the air waves in the future (or will there not be radio in the future?) and y'all can say you knew him (or his Mom) when...

5 comments:

~Pam said...

that sounds so fun. I wonder how a school gets picked to have the program...

Kristen said...

Kennedy was home sick so she didn't get to go. She was disappointed. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Trever and Heather said...

That's so darn cool! I hope they still have that program when Ava is big enough. I think right now she plans on growing up and being a wealthy princess (which is still MY dream by they way).

Mandy said...

That is such a fun idea and learning opportunity. You are such a cool mom to go and help! Most people have to figure things out the hard way in "real life". Hopefully the kids remember what they learned.
As a sidenote...I cannot believe how old Ryan looks in that picture!

KeNnEdOoDlE said...

Ryan came to school the next day and said to the "cutest boy", "Dallas my mom put that you were the C word on her blog! Can you beleive that?!" It was pretty funny.