Thursday, October 8, 2009

Shhh!...Mama's Trying to Sleep

I've got three days down, seven more to go of my "JetBlue School."

+


We're switching over to a new & improved system at JetBlue and every crew member has to go through a 60 hour, on-site training course on it - and I'm attending my session right now.

My class is from 8:00PM - 2:00AM every night/morning.

Now, before you wonder about the inhumane work environment my employer is subjecting me to - there were many class options to choose from with various times/days of the week offered. And I chose this one. Simply because: a) I need to be home with my little ones during the day. b) I want to be able to have dinner together as a family each evening.

I thought that way would be the most normal for everyone else in my family. But, it's not exactly the easiest thing on ME! My body just doesn't appreciate only 3-4 hrs. of sleep/night for some reason! ;)

I have to drive out to the call center which is FAR away (in my mind, at least, especially since walking downstairs to my home office to work has been the extent of my commute for the past 2+ years!) by the Ski Areas turn off near Cottonwood Canyons. So I leave my home a little after 7PM and return a little before 3AM.

It's a little unsettling when I arrive home after driving the 30 or so miles and I don't really remember it all! I DO frequently envision, what it'll be like to slip into my bed, along the drive home.

And then I try to go to bed...

As visions of confirmation numbers dance in my head.

And navigation keys.

And sub-navigation keys.








And "hot keys."

And Price quotes.

And Trip Summaries....

And...And...And....

(That makes me so mad when I dream about what I already lived through and don't want to think about anymore!)

And then Ryan starts practicing the piano at 6:30AM.

And Matt's alarm goes off shortly after in my bedroom.

And then there's Katelyn running down the [hardwood floor] hall (clomp, clomp, clomp), screaming.

So, I get up and emerge from my bedroom. And my family all says to me, "What are you doing up? You're suppose to be sleeping in!" Yeah, right!

I tell myself I'll sleep during the baby's morning nap (I try and I set my alarm so I can pick Katelyn up from Preschool, but I'm paranoid of being a "no-show" parent, so I keep tossing & looking at the clock during my entire "nap!")

I promise myself I'll sleep during the girls' afternoon nap, but when I lay down...I'm such a freak, that my mind just starts thinking about everything I have to do.

Book a hotel.
Use those tomatoes before they go bad & make salsa.
Go through my baby clothes to give to my [nearly delivering] neighbor.
Clean up.
Halloween decorations.
Shower.
Doctor appts.
Laundry.
Unpack from UEA weekend trip.
Paper work.
Post on my blog about why I may "fall off the blogging world bandwagon" for a while. So, don't be alarmed when I don't read & comment on your blogs (and thus, not know anything that's going on "out there") for a while or post much here.

BECAUSE, I'm always thinking about when I can sleep more...kind of reminds me of when I have a newborn. Fantasizing about sleep. Trying to squeeze it in here & there. Craving sleep. It trumps my need for food...

{Baby Brookelle & me, Summer 2008}

But, the new system will be great for JB...I'll just keep telling myself that until my training is all done! (Which won't end at my "graduation" in two weeks. I'll continue to take e-learnings 2 hrs./week until the beginning of the new year when it all rolls out. I better have it down & learned by then!)

3 comments:

michelle said...

You are funny!!! Good luck on getting some kind of sleep. I will miss your funny posts.

The Page's said...

Hey, I am still only a phone call away. I would love to take the girls in the morning so that you can sleep!

Siri said...

I didn't know you worked for JetBlue. I am so jealous! My sister in law works for them too. Awesome job. But, yeah. Good luck on the sleep.