Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Parents' Turn

I have to admit, I was one of those people who would hear of couples going to Disneyland for their honeymoon, and I would mock!

I've been at Disneyland and seen the couples wearing those Bride & Groom mouse ears, and I would snicker and think, "WHY?"

But, after taking each child to Disneyland last year (4X) on their birthdays and letting them dictate how exactly we'd spend the day, I started to form a list of my own of things I would want to do if I had any say in the matter. (which I've never had since the kids have always been with me)

So, when a friend of mine was going to Disneyland with her family the first part of May for four days with a 5-Day Hopper pass, I got an idea....
An awful idea.
The Grinch got a wonderful, awful idea!

Since I can fly there for free on JetBlue anyway...how about I buy the unused day off of her (for a great price in comparison to full retail) and Matt & I go [within 13 days after their first use] all alone to Disneyland and do all the things I've always wanted to do, but that have always been vetoed by my children?!?

So, that's exactly what we did last weekend.
Another friend of mine (who shall remain nameless since I got in trouble by mentioning her name on my blog before) said to me, "I just couldn't go to Disneyland without the kids! It just doesn't seem like it'd be fun. What would you do?"


Well, let me tell you.

I finally got to see "Aladdin" the Musical. I have tried to get my children to go to this, but they have always refused!
And it's really too bad, because now that I've seen it, I really think they would've totally enjoyed it! It was so good! But, Oh well, their loss - it closes August 15th, so they probably missed their chance forever! :(


Also, as a special event, the Food & Wine Festival was going on at Disney's California Adventure.
I thought, "Great! Here's an opportunity for my husband to learn how to cook!" :) So, we attended a "Culinary Demonstration." The visiting Chef was Stuart O'Keeffe from Private Chefs of Beverly Hills. That may mean something to some of you, but since we have no cable T.V. channels, I've never heard of him, or seen him until that day.
But, he made a great recipe, Beef and Guinness Short ribs, that we all got to eat afterwards. YUMMMM! I totally want to make them....but, there's the problem of buying the Guinness. Any suggestions? Because you know, with my luck, that will be the only time in my whole life that I run into my Bishop at the grocery store. Or is Guinness even sold in regular stores? Do you have to go to a liquor store for it? If so, then I know just who to ask the favor of....Oh, Kristen.... :)


Then there's California Screamin' that we went on since only ONE of my children (so far?) will go on this one!

{The cheapskate Guide to Disney Photos: Take a picture of the viewing monitors at the end of the ride!}



Then there was the matter of FOOD. I do not like hot dogs, [amusement park] pizza, and chili. I do not like them, Suz I am. Not in Toontown, not in Critter Country, not in Tomorrowland, I do not like them!

So, we went to a restaurant - with table service - which meant real food!


Real, GOOD food. Can you say Monte Cristo sandwich? We gotta learn how to make 'em like this.....or maybe not, they're no short of 5,000 calories, I'm sure! But, YUMMMM!
In all my times at Disneyland, I've never ridden (I should use that word loosely since it's not exactly a "ride") Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. Mostly because they only operate select seasons and also because that'd be a joke for all my kids to try to row a canoe. Talk about looking like a drunk caterpillar! Then there's always been the baby issue. Babies and canoes don't really go together. So, we took advantage of it - and we laughed so hard - we rowed hard, too, although I think our guide would beg to differ! He was hilarious!

We also went to "Captain EO" the 3D attraction which has returned to D-land (with Michael Jackson - how special!) For some reason our kids are terrified of 3D experiences and wearing the glasses, so this has always been nixed by them, as well.

All last year, we saw the long, LONG, LOONNG lines at the new ride, "Toy Story Midway Mania!" so we never wanted to stand in it with the kids, but when they're not a factor - what the HEY! Actually, we went on it right before closing time and had a very *short* 25 min. wait. But the ride itself we found to be very enjoyable! :)
And to top off our day, we attended the 80z All Stars concert.
Which put Matt right IN HIS ELEMENT! :)

I was really amazed at the "demographics" of the crowd. There were a few TRUE "Children of the 80's" like ourselves, but there was a lot of teenagers! And they were eatin' it up! Totally lovin' it. But, what do I expect, the 80's did produce the best music of all time. REAL music that you can actually dance to. Just don't listen to some of the lyrics - if you can figure them out, that is!
So, we rocked out to:
Whip It
Footloose
Come on, Ilene
We Will Rock You
Hit Me with Your Best Shot
Pour Some Sugar on Me
I Love Rock n' Roll
(to name a few)

{Did I lose you young 'uns again in this post with the mention of these songs, too?}

We did some other things, too (not pictured)

My favorite ride, of course - Soarin' Over California
Some of Matt's favorites: Pirates of the Caribbean & Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
And for the first time, we got to ride the Matterhorn TOGETHER! (It was pretty snug in that bobsled!)
Enjoyed the perfect, sunny-with-just-the-right amount-of-breeze weather.
And, I did some shopping.
And got Dole Whip.
Viewed the fireworks from our private spot on Paradise Pier.
And watched the Prom couples come parading through. You should've seen some of those girls' dresses slivers of fabric they were wearing! I was seriously concerned for their moral well-being that night!!! But, that's another subject for another post.

Anyway, here I am, now an ADVOCATE of the "couples only" Disneyland vacation. I still probably wouldn't recommend it for a Honeymoon since, well, you know....
But, we came back HAPPY from The Happiest Place on Earth! :) And you can, too - so try it - you'll like it!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

You know I fully support the occasional trip to Disneyland without the children. Looks like fun! I wish I worked for Jet Blue and benefitted from the free flights. That's awesome!

Mandy said...

Thay sounds like a blast! Someday.....

Melissa S. said...

Sounds like an ABSOLUTE DREAM!! I bet you sat and smiled (laughed inside) at all those other suckers that had to keep their kids in line!!!!

momandpop said...

You made a good case for going to Disneyland alone as a couple. What do you think about "senior couples" going alone?

Heidi said...

That sounds like fun. But right now I'm thinking going anywhere with Aaron alone sounds great!

Karmen said...

What a blast! I'm going to print off this post and set it on my hubby's desk! Hopefully you've inspired him...I need a vacation!

Michelle D. said...

What a fun trip! I'm a fan of the Monte Crisco too :) I have ridden in the canoes (I think we're a small minority of people). What a great weekend!

Dan said...

I'm glad you had fun! We went there on our honeymoon, but we didn't get the mouse ears and had already been married for two months. Hopefully we weren't the subject of your mocking. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of talking a picture of the monitor, genious!