It's always been held at the library, which our piano teacher schedules and reserves before lessons even start at Back to School time, so, at least 9 months in advance.
We arrive at the library on Friday, and a lot of our students & families are standing around out in the foyer, some are looking into the recital room.
I wondered why no one was going in.
I soon found out.
The library had double-booked their room.
Now, I don't know how or who decides which booking of the double-booking gets to stay, but it was not us!
The word out in the foyer was that we were going to move it to Mrs. Green's house, a lady who was there to attend our recital, and had volunteered. I didn't know her, I'd never met her before this day, but I will not soon forget her.
Now, to volunteer such a thing - that was oh, so generous. And helpful. And thoughtful. And very Save-the-Day-ish, but my first thought was,
Who can do that?
Who can have 50+ people just come to their house with absolutely NO notice and host a piano recital?
Is she always ready for that sort of thing at any given moment? Or did we just catch her at a good time? Really, who can do that?
NOT ME!
And it wasn't just her piano room that looked nice and prepared. Her front yard was FINE, that we all walked by. Her kitchen was clean and counters cleared that the much-anticipated (at least by my kids) Post-Recital refreshments, Dick's Bakery doughnuts, were set out on. And the "over-flow" Family Room was in order and able to house attendees. Not to mention, she produced much seating for everyone in a short period of time, just using her own resources. Sometimes, I might have ONE area in my home that is presentable, but all of it?
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
I was so impressed with her.
And at the same time I was in horror at any such occasions of me being forced to do the same thing. Not that I can think of a situation where I'd have to do that against my will, but if I did...OH, I shudder at the very thought!
But, ONE DAY (in another life) I would like to be able to be like HER!
And the fine examples don't stop with just Mrs. Green.
Take our dear piano teacher, Janene Mann, for another illustration. I have known her for the last 9 years we have lived in Farmington. I have looked up to her for various reasons over the years, but I don't think I will ever forget her on this piano recital day.
She walked around with the same bounce in her step as always.
The same smile on her face that is a part of her.
I heard no arguing between her and the "other double-bookee."
I did not see her at the circulation desk at the library chewing someone out.
She stood in front of our group at the new venue and welcomed us warmly just the same as she's done at all previous recitals we've experienced with her over the last 5 1/2 years.
She was very gracious to Mrs. Green.
I did not see her sitting in the corner with a scowl on her face, arms folded across her chest, grunting, with smoke coming out of her ears.
She thought of ME and MY FAMILY as she invited us to "make sure and get some doughnuts before you leave" even though we had to go early.
She sent us (& all her students' family) an email the next day thanking us for being flexible, calling it "an adventure" and pouring out words of compliments about the performances and the recital. All positive messages.
And again my thought was,
Who can do that?
Who can stay calm, cool, and collected when a HUGE thing goes awry? And especially when you've been WRONGED? Who can NOT worry about, "Where's the justice?" No anger? No frustration? No resentment? No bad-mouthing? Not provoked? No letting-it-ruin-your-whole-day-ness? Only Charity. Really, Who can do that?
NOT ME!
I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E.
It touched me strongly.
And at the same time, I am frightened to think how I would act in the same situation. Not that I am ever planning on becoming a piano teacher, but if I did....Oh, just get out of the way - it would not be pretty! (much to my mortification)
ONE DAY (hopefully in this life) I would like to be able to be like HER!


4 comments:
Janene is an amazing lady! I have looked up to her for many, many years. I think with as many kids as she has, she has to be flexible, but it's a part of who she is too. I've NEVER seen her angry in the 20-some-odd years I've known her.
You don't give yourself enough credit for all of your strengths! I always wonder how I would respond to certain situations like that when I see others respond so well.
The ability to remain unruffled in unexpected/awkward situations is a quality I would like to develop too. Very impressive.
That is way amazing. I am terrible. Everybody knows when my feathers are ruffled. Thanks for this post. I need to be more like these ladies. How professional too! Everyone totally would have understood if she was upset.
Post a Comment