Monday, May 10, 2010

Hello! McFly!

My [brilliant] firstborn came upstairs the other night - right around the time when things are suppose to be [finally] winding down, the kids are in bed asleep, or at least they're not seen by me and I have a moment to breathe - and he declared,

"Ummm, I think I have a problem."
As he held out his arm to show us the damage.

He had a plastic piece of one of my other children's money bank stuck - SUCTIONED rather - to his arm!
OK - first off....WHY does he feel the need to dissect banks? And toys, contents of drawers, garbage cans, and a myriad of other household objects for that matter. Why can't he just LEAVE. THINGS. ALONE. (and nice & neat & clean and in pristine condition. OK, so maybe that's too lofty of a wish).
And secondly....WHAT WAS HE THINKING?
Probably something along the lines of "I wonder what would happen if I put a 10-inch in diameter plastic tube on my 12-inch in diameter bare skin arm?"
And then he definitely found out.
We were tugging and pulling and twisting -- all with no luck.
We used water and Vaseline and Pam cooking spray -- and it wouldn't budge.

I worried if it would cut off all circulation to his arm and would lead to his arm self-detaching.

His Dad, unamused, informed him, "This is the kind of thing that will land you in the E.R."
And I'm thinking, Oh great, that's all I need. I was just settling down for the evening!
Ryan was only mildly embarrassed with all his dad's inquiries about his intelligence.

I started to brainstorm of all the people I knew who had Power Tools that could be used in the emergency removal of this foreign object that refused to come off his arm.

At one point, his dad instructed him to stand opposite of him, facing him, hold his arm out straight in front of him, put his hand in a fist against Matt's stomach. Then Matt pulled down on the bank piece his direction and Ryan leaned back the other way.
The tube didn't budge - it looked like it might, but it didn't.
But Ryan did exclaim, "Man, Dad, you've got Abs of Steel!" (Pretty remarkable for Ryan to say that considering all the non-compliments he'd just been getting from his Dad!)
Since the previous procedure looked so promising while I'd been observing it, I decided to repeat it, but this time with ME on the opposite side of Ryan, pulling it down with his fist bracing against MY bowl-full of jelly stomach. I didn't get it off either.
And incidentally, I received NO comments from Ryan, so I went ahead and asked him, "So, do I have Abs of Steel?"
To which he responded, "Not so much!"

Eventually, we did get it off - at home. Thanks to the commotion that brought our quiet evening to a halt, Katelyn came out of her room and gave us an idea to try which did the trick!

Ryan NEVER was able to come up with an explanation as to WHY he did it, however.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

So funny! So what was the thing that worked? What did you ever find out about the curbing?

Mandy said...

You left us hanging! I'm wondering what did the trick!?!
That is pretty funny though. I guess he was bored?

Julie said...

Thanks - I needed a good laugh today! And how did you finally get it off???? Just in case I need it for future reference....

Karmen said...

You CAN'T leave us hanging...what did you finally do?! You REALLY should write a book!

Karmen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

I'll be sure to show Kennedy this post....LET THE TEASING AT SCHOOL BEGIN! :D

Melissa S. said...

Um.........so what finally worked?!?!!? The fact that you stopped to take pictures and he's still smiling was what comforted me enough to know you didn't end up in the ER. ;)
Seriously, boys just don't think.

Suzanne said...

Katelyn suggested we put the Vaseline all around the top of the plastic tube's rim, too -- up until that point, we'd only been putting it at the bottom since that was the direction we were trying to pull it off. I guess it was so suctioned at the top where the arm is bigger that it wasn't budging until we "broke the seal." :)

Dan said...

Boys! At least I can blame Ryker's "stupidity" on the fact that he's 2. What is Ryan's excuse? :) JK

Anonymous said...

Boys! Thanks sharing and make sure you share that story at his wedding luncheon one day!