"I'm going to change this world - ONE BOY AT A TIME!"
And I started with the toilet seat.

I was very vigilant from my boys' early age to teach them to put the toilet seat DOWN after using it. I did it myself and I constantly reminded them to do likewise. This, I'm sure, stemmed from my experience in working at a hospital where we once had an 18-month old patient who had "drowned" in the toilet in his own home. He must've reached in to "play" and, being top-heavy, got stuck with his head in the water, feet off the ground, and unable to get out. When he was found by his mother, he was successfully resuscitated, but his prognosis of recovery was grim. He was in what we called, a "vegetative state." It was so sad.
Anyway, between my goal to change the world and my paranoia of drowning, I am a stickler with the toilet seat thing. Every. Single. Time.
I'll never forget my first feeling of "victory" when my brother came to visit and he used our bathroom. Afterwards, 3 yr. old Ryan came rushing to find me, in distress, saying,
"Uncle Mikey was just in the bathroom and....THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG! Come quick!"
I envisioned a flood of some kind when I followed him up to the bathroom, but when I got there, what I saw was a toilet seat left UP!

We quickly corrected the situation and put the toilet seat DOWN. But, what a PROUD moment. My young boy KNEW that it was just WRONG to leave the toilet seat up!
Fast Forward 12 years...
The other day, this same Ryan, was telling me about an activity they had done in their Seminary (Bible Study) class. It was kind of a Getting-to-Know-You activity where the teacher pulled a question out a "hat" and read it to the class, and then, in turn, one by one, the students answered that question.
There were questions like:
"What is your biggest accomplishment
"What was your best day? And why?
"What makes you feel sad?"
He shared his answers with me, which was interesting, but the one that REALLY perked up my attention was when he said that one of the questions they were presented with was:
"What is your pet peeve?"
I asked him how he had answered, and he said,
"When people leave the toilet seat up."

And he was completely serious!
{Picture me: blowing on my fist, rubbing it on my shirt, head held high, smug look on my face, struttin' around.}
Oh Yeah!
Like I said, I'm changing this world...ONE BOY AT A TIME!
*******
Just don't ask me how many times we've had to replace toilet seats that have been slammed DOWN by boy #2. ;)
*******
When searching for images of toilets on the internet, THIS one came up. Just thought some of you might enjoy it! (You know who you are!) hee hee.


4 comments:
That bathroom is pretty ingenious. I wonder how many people can actually pee there? And, what does the ladies room look like????
NO WAY!!! I can't believe that picture that came up! So funny.
Yes, a proud parenting moment indeed!
It's so good to hear that I'm not the only crazy one! That is also one of my biggest pet peeves!
hahaha!! Way to go Mom! Can you teach my kids to remember to FLUSH it?!?
Post a Comment