Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Dating Game

About 6 months ago, I found out about a product that claimed to get kids to do their chores, get ready for bed, off to school, etc. etc. WITHOUT being reminded (ie: nagging & screaming my head off!) So, OF COURSE, I bought it! It is called, "Children's Miracle Music."


The basics of it are that you get points for each step you accomplish in the designated time - a potential of 12 points/day. When you reach 100 points, you get a "private date" (of your choice) with Mom or Dad - Matt for me, Me for Matt (Yes! we're suppose to do our chores, too!)


Well, we reached a point where everyone had a date coming - so that's what we've been doing this past week!


Matt & Kyle went to good ol' Kaysville Theatre for the $2 movie, "Kung Fu Panda." They got a drink and the REFILLABLE popcorn, even - which Kyle definitely took advantage of that perk!



Then Mom & Katelyn went to ride the "kiddie rides." Ya know, the ones that you see in front of stores sometimes (or in the entrance/exit area) that the kids ALWAYS beg to ride, but ya ALWAYS say, "Not today."? The first place we went did not have a Merry-go-Round like I thought it did, so we rode the ones available there first and then we wandered through the TOY DEPT. of this store and Katelyn was "OOHH"-ing about everything (I've got a lot of good ideas for her birthday, now.) She then found a bike just her size and rode it around the aisles for a while - remember, this is HER idea of a great date! So, then we started to drive to the other place that I KNEW had a Merry-go-Round and when we arrived, I said, "We're here!"... No answer... I turn around, and she's asleep in the back seat! I call her name a couple of times - still asleep. So, we went home - I guess I'm a REAL exciting date, huh?!?



Haylee chose to go to this new Tea House that has come to Farmington. It's in one of these cute pioneer homes on Main St. They have an extensive tea list, but of course, we weren't going to order that, so we had the "Tea 'n' Luncheon" menu instead. Those of you who know Haylee, know she has a VERY LIMITED diet. This presented a challenge when ordering - they had those little "tea sandwiches" - NOT going work! They had a fruit plate, but Haylee only will consider apples and pears - another strike! She LOVES scones & cookies, BUT theirs weren't the "Navajo Fry Bread" or "Oreos" style of these - they were the "English" version - No go! We finally settled on a cheese & cracker plate for her - for $4! The cheese had been cut out into cute flower & leaf shapes. But, wouldn't ya know it, she still found something wrong with it...she ONLY likes orange cheese - not white OR even white & orange speckled, and some of the crackers were "too dark." Despite her not eating much (what an expensive "lunch" for her!), she had a fun time using the baby tongs to get sugar cubes out of the pot and enjoyed all the doilies, napkin holders/rings, & fancy goblets and dressing up in a skirt & blouse!



Can y'all guess what Ryan's gonna do for his "private date?"... Of course, a U of U football game with Matt. He REALLY wanted to go to the game against BYU, but the only way to get [affordable] tickets to that game would be to buy season tickets - and that wasn't gonna happen...so, he'll go to the TCU game - He just has to wait until Nov. 6th!



We've liked doing this because there's not too many opportunities for two people to be ALONE in our home. Also, while we're on our date, they act very mature, obedient, pleasant, no crying/whining, etc, etc. UNLIKE how they often have been acting at home! Just goes to show, they REALLY need 1:1 attention.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. I want to know about the program. I got to go on dates with my parents when I was a kid. It was actually with both of them. I think they would count it as a date for themselves. You have got my brain a thinking.....that might hurt.

Michelle D. said...

I love that idea! I especially love Katelyn's date. I'm so guilty of always telling my kids "not today" too. Ty is going to the TCU game with Matt (it's the night before his birthday). Sounds like it will be a fun boys night.

Heidi said...

What a fun idea. My brother and sister-in-law take their kids on dates as well and I've always thought it's a great idea!

Mandy said...

I am so glad that is working for you! my kiddos realy like it too.

Nic@Nite said...

Wow! How fun! What a great idea. I love Haylee's date. My girls would love to do that, maybe next time we are in town.

Kristen said...

I loved your date ideas. What good parents! 1:1 time is SOOOO important.

Cheryl said...

That is so cute! My sister does a similar thing w/ her kids, they use tickets and then are rewarded w/ "dates". It totally works for them too and the kids just love it!

val said...

What a great idea! I love all the different choices the kids made for their dates. And I hear you on the things you always have to say no to.. I'll have to remember that next time I have a 'date' night! And wow, another U of U fan? My husband would be so proud!

k8shoe said...

I love the "date night" idea. I might have to use that. Also....GO BYU!