Friday, October 3, 2008

Taking Matters into her own Hands

Katelyn USED TO be good when we did her hair, but lately she's been following Haylee's example (screaming with the same intensity as if we were trying to murder her!) About a month ago, Matt was trying to brush her hair and she started carrying on and Matt threatened, "Do you want to cut your hair ALL off?" She answered, "Yes!" What?!? We didn't expect that response - She was suppose to BEG FOR MERCY and PROMISE to be agreeable from that time on...I guess it wasn't a very effective threat. Well, moments later, she walked back into the room and she had a lock of her hair in her hand - Matt HAD asked her if she wanted to cut her hair, right?!? She literally took it as an invitation. She was scolded, but actually this is not the first time this has happened in our home - it's a GIVEN, right?!? I told her that if she still wants her hair cut AFTER her birthday (Nov. 4th), we can do it, BUT I want to get her 4-yr. old picture taken with her long, curly hair FIRST!

I thought we had agreed on this...

So, the other day, her hair was in a ponytail in the morning and then later she came up to me and said, "I don't like ponytails!" I looked at her and she now had a head band in her hair and it was down in the back. I said, "OK!" I didn't think anything of that interaction - she constantly changes her clothes & accessories anyway. BUT THEN, when I went to brush it later, I discovered that she really did not like the ponytail because she had CUT IT OUT! I guess she's really serious about wanting her hair cut! She had pulled on the elastic over to the side where she could reach it before she cut, so now one side goes about to her chin. I asked her where the hair was and she took me to the garbage can and showed me...

Well, remember my Birthday photo plans? I want to keep them, so I tried to pull her hair back and see if you could really tell. It hides it better, but because I KNOW what happened, I can tell - BUT can you? What side do you think got cut? (her left or right?) Can I get away with getting her picture taken anyway with her hair like this? If this photo stumps enough of you - I'm SOO waiting.
UNLESS she gets to those scissors again in the next month!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

I can't tell.....I say go for it. She is adorable!

Heidi said...

I can't believe that, I would be so mad! I would have to guess her right, but it's not that noticeable I think you should still go for it.

Kristen said...

I can't tell which side. You're in good company...many parents go through this "self styling" phase. Kennedy cut her bangs when she was little. She was supposed to be napping, I was gone, and her dad was mowing the lawn. Guess she thought, "Dad's cutting the grass so I should cut my hair..."?!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it looks bad. You should be able to pull it off. Zoe is my only to cut hair. She doesn't cut her own hair. Naughty girl.

Julie said...

I can't tell - but I think she will take matters into her own hands again - better take that picture TODAY - that's one determined little girl.

Nic@Nite said...

What is it with cutting hair? I say it is her right side. I am still mad about McKells little incident.

Cheryl said...

I can't tell at all which side she cut.

val said...

I can't tell which side she cut either...little cutie! She reminds me exactly of my Emily with hair. I have never been able to brush her hair without the murderous screaming! She's cut her hair several times, and I've almost completely given up on ever actually fixing her hair again! I try to sneak in a quick finger brush as she walks by..but usually I get me head screamed off.. Kids!

Brett and Marianne said...

Do it, you can always move the hair so no one will notice, and it will be a good story to tell in years to come!

k8shoe said...

Ya totally can't tell that she cut it. Hide ALL the scissors.

I am knocking on wood right now because my kids have never done the hair cut thing but I did it when I was younger (to myself and Summer) so I'm sure I'll get paybacks one of these days.

The Page's said...

I can't tell either, but Julie's probably right, you should get her picture right away. If I had to guess I would say the right side of the picture too, her left.