Sunday, June 28, 2009

Interesting Things I Saw in San Diego

{This one happened on the way to San Diego}
~ The guy sitting next to me in the plane (and he was completely normal looking - even on the good looking side, I'd say) was repeatedly trying to yank out nose hairs (or whatever else was up there) with his fingers. It really threw me off - he did not appear to be your stereotypical guy that you'd expect that from!

~ While waiting to get our rental car that was off-site from the airport, plane after plane ROARED overhead (and shook the ground & rattled my insides) as they approached landing. Those incoming planes were RIGHT above us - and I mean, RIGHT above - as in, I felt a [substantially TALLer person than I] could almost touch the belly of the plane. I could see the front wheel already down and I saw it's shadow on the road I was standing on!

~ My Smoothie-maker-Guy took a tiny drink/taste of my smoothie before giving it to me! (I guess he wanted to be sure it was good?!?)

~ SO MANY tops/dresses/skirts/swim suit cover ups had the "One-Size-Fits-All" size tag on it. What that really means is, "One size fits all SKINNY people!" - there's no way that tag is really true!
~ In Old Town - a BMW motorcycle gang on tour. (I didn't even know those existed!) I overheard from them that Michael Jackson had died that day. Was he really 50? No!

~ Still in Old Town - These dancers. At least I think - Matt took this picture... ...because I was too busy trying to decide which earrings to buy - now, THOSE are the REAL "One Size Fits All" things! I got these.


~ A $27.00 Burger. Yes, Azul's Steakhouse had one on their menu! Granted it WAS "prime" beef that this burger was made out of - and a lot of it - one pound, but still - a $27 burger? Never seen that before! I enjoyed the $40 smallest Filet Mignon instead (that the Company paid for!)

~ From that same restaurant, with a La Jolla Cove & Pacific Ocean view from every window, there were swimmers (yes, plural, as in many) right below me - I assume they were practicing for a some sort of swimming competition. But, nevertheless, I was very nervous for them - I felt much better after they were completed and OUT of the ocean. I was reminded how glad I am that I've got some guy to do the swimming portion of my upcoming triathlon!


~ At the Swap Meet - a toned-down Tijuana, there was this man talking to a girl who was bending down under a display table. I assumed she was looking at things to buy down there? Nope. She comes back up and has some throw up dripping from the corner of her mouth, which the man promptly wiped away with his thumb. In reality, he'd just helped her find a concealed place to barf - I quickly made my way OUT OF THAT "store."

~ Also, at the Swap Meet, I found myself at a lot of the same booths as another couple of gals there - we must've been in the market for the same kinds of things. Well, I soon noticed that one of them was quite the "haggler." So, I let her start by getting the price down a little and then I got it down even more...but, I still didn't know if it was a "good" price, so I was able to ask for her advise. Only when she said, "Yes!" did I purchase this beautiful, hand-made dress for Miss B.


~ A man (or so I thought) changing in one of the stalls in the Ladies restroom at the Beach. He was sooo much taller than the stall door (like 2+ feet), so I chose I stall a couple over, so he couldn't see into mine. But, then we he walked out, and HE was actually a SHE -- I think, but it's debatable. He/She was wearing a woman's swimming suit and had long, slender legs, but hardly no bust, but definitely a man's face -- I don't know...

~ Two ambulances + 2 life boats out in the ocean + 3 Jet Skis driven by life guards + a helicopter hovering low + 1,000's of people watching from the shore & boardwalk (the surrounding water had been cleared.) And I don't know what happened. Later, after the previous incident had cleared away, a Life Guard went running from his post with his life saver thing on a rope and dove into the water, too - and then came out with nothing - Was everyone drowning that day? Is that what you think was happening? How many "incidents" are there?

~ In general, TONS of skin at the the beach. One scantily clad girl was posing while her friend took pictures. She was spilling out her bikini top and pointing her hands up to the sky while kind of arching her back...I guess the world will be able to see it now on her MySpace page. I, too, thought, "What a brilliant idea! I could do that!" and took a photo of myself just like it.....

But, I won't post it for you to see!! hahahaha. ;)

~ Also on the beach, these four girls caught me by surprise while I was reading my book (I even finished a book in 3 days!) "Uh, Excuse me...we're from such & such, somethin'-or-other-church and we're here for a convention. We're going around the beach talking to people about God. Is there anything YOU need US to pray for YOU about?" They were YOUNG, dressed in the usual non-Utah teenager attire, and like I said, I was caught off guard, so I told them I was fine [without a prayer]. But looking back, maybe I should've engaged them in a conversation, hmmm, maybe along the lines of the First Discussion (from the old Missionary discussions), if they were wanting to talk about God! :) I found it VERY interesting that they chose ME - I was alone (Matt was actually in the ocean at that moment) and I was the ONLY female in MILES that was in a one-piece swimming suit, I think - what a "good candidate" I must've looked like to them! ;)

~ A sunset as we left the beach one evening.


~ A 31" Pizza! That's not a typo, it's true - from Luigi's at the Beach. Here's what just ONE slice looked like.


~ In the Hot Tub at the Hotel - a nerdy guy (w/ some "Plumber's Butt" action going on) hitting on a barely-covered, blond, young thing who was holding a Margarita - that explains why she was giving him the time of day? Very entertaining to witness. :)

~ "European Vacation" was showing in our room one night -

We're sooo glad ours did NOT turn out like that!

Thanks, Dean & Marsha, David & Kristen, Eric & Julie, Gina & Jeremy, Mike & Mandy for watching our kids!!!
(It "takes a village" to cover 5 kids- whew!)

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Sounds like so much fun! Was this a business trip or just for vacation purposes? I wish Jeff and I could get away.

Mandy said...

Oh my Goodness! It sounds like you really had an adventure. I'm glad you shared all your fun experiences with us. I am guessing Matt finished off the pizza without a problem? :)

Suzanne said...

Kristen -
It was Part business for Matt, all pleasure for me, but it was totally paid for by the Company! :)

~Pam said...

drinking from your drink before giving it to you...?! weird!!!
I am going to be more attentive when out and about!

Anonymous said...

it sounds like it was a good idea you didn't have the kids to "open" their eyes!

Like the earings.

Melissa S. said...

I'm still concerned about that guy picking his nose hairs. He's probably thinking....."I saw this really nice looking lady and she kept staring at me. She didn't seem like the stare-at-you type of girl". :)
When you said things I saw in San Diego....I was honestly scared to think what you saw. Yikes. But talk about some interesting things. I'm sooooooooo glad you got a little time away. I just hoping Matt packed all his cologne.

Sarah said...

Was the "swap meet" just "code" for walmart? Sounds eerily familiar :)

Glad the trip was so memorable for you guys...the best kind :)

Michelle D. said...

We were in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and I can't even remember how many times I turned to my sister in law with "the look" (the, "we are SO not in UT look") Your posts crack me up! Keep up the good work missy!