Tuesday, June 2, 2009

To Go or Not to Go...That is the Question

Matt's 20 Year High School Reunion is this year.
Do we go? Or not? We want to go. Or do we? We should go. Or not.
That's the conversation that's been floating around our home as of late.

Matt is excited about this - I can tell because THE DAY that he found out that his Class of '89 had a website where you could check up on everyone, he was on it! But, there's a catch...you are not able to view any info about anyone else until you, yourself, write a profile. And he completed his profile THAT DAY. I'll just say that is pretty unheard of for him. Our 7-yr. old's Baby Book still has a blank page in it - the page with the title, "A message from Daddy." Yeah...he becomes quite animated where High School is concerned! Probably because he never has quit living in the 80's or embraced the truth that he is NOT a young pup (w/ his hideous mullet) anymore. I tease him often that he is "in love" with High School. (And he does not deny it nor correct me!)

Actually, MY reunion was last year and we did not go. The invitation clearly stated, "No Kids Allowed" and at that time I had a 2-month old baby who was [literally] attached to me, so that made our decision for us. Matt was totally fine with that, but now, one year later, the tables are turned. Since it's not MY reunion, I'm not that...."emotionally invested" should we say, on attending as he is. THAT and the fact that it IS Viewmont H.S. we're talking about and REALLY how can a B.H.S. grad (Go Braves!), like myself, get motivated by that? :) AND that it does indeed cost $50 per person BEFORE the deadline or $60 after. This is what is so ironic to me. Why would we want to PAY to go back to High School? PAY for a complete package with all the insecurity, the cattiness, the Who's-cool-&-who's-a-loser scoreboard, the phoney-baloney, super-inflated egos, the reminder of your less-than-noble choices, etc. that you could ask for. Would anyone even want to go back for FREE? ALL THOSE reasons and, this reunion thing entered my dreams the other night and so I shared with Matt what happened in the dream and how it MAY be my real fear.

I don't want to have to see him hugging/kissing all his old girlfriends!

His response to my admission?
"I don't think I'm going to be hugging/kissing any girls."
And then as an afterthought....
"Am I?"
OK, OK - STOP! You "think?" Really? - "think?" Let me just cover up my ears. Lesson to the Husband. That is a terrible answer. You failed! MEMORIZE and Repeat after me...
"I Know I will NOT be hugging/kissing any girls."
or
"I guarantee THAT will not be happening - mercy!"
or
"I wouldn't dream of doing that!"
or
"Are you freakin' KIDDING me?"
or
Barf, cough, gag, clear throat, choke on/spit out Dr. Pepper that you were drinking, get tears in your eyes....
or
"The ONLY one I'm gonna be hugging/kissing is YOU, BABE!"

Since my concern was not resolved, I suggested he could Rent-a-wife. Wasn't there a movie about that in the last year or so? What was that movie? A girl had to go to a wedding of her sister, (Or was it a friend? Or her ex-lover?) so she responded to an ad in the newspaper for an "escort".....Those kind of services are out there, right? I told him that way he could get a REAL hottie to go show off at the reunion as his "trophy wife." Isn't this a win-win situation?
He says he's not that shallow -- OH, but that's what High School is all about -- it'll be great!
He says they'll all wonder what happened to me -- No they won't, the few people from his class who know me most likely won't even be there due to moving or work.
He asks, "What about the Badham's?" They live in our ward and BOTH the husband & wife are classmates of his and are very well aware of me. I assure him I can get the Badham's to keep a secret! (That may be a lie! hee, hee Jennifer!)
Again...the correct response would be...
"MY real wife is THE HOTTIE - No rental required!"
(More training needed!)

Anyway, it's his decision. I just told him to make it BEFORE the deadline so we don't pay MORE for the "treat" to revisit High School and all that it entails (see list above.) To help him decide I asked if there was anyone he really wanted to see (who he doesn't see already.)
He said that was a good question.
He [eventually] decided to only go to the informal gathering (read FREE) on Friday night and forego the official (read BIG BUCKS) reunion on Saturday night.

Final Answer.

And then yesterday, he got an email informing him that the deadline has been extended...
I have a feeling "The Reunion" conversation is going to open back up again.

12 comments:

Julie said...

Oh AMEN AMEN AMEN! Give it up already Matt.... grow up and move on! I think high school reunions are the dumbest thing ever!!!!! They even asked me to help out with my 20 (or 25) year reunion - and I did - but I refused to go! We went to my 5 year reunion - walked in -looked around at all the same groups/clicks that existed before - and turned around and left.... never looking back. Call me weird - but I just don't get it. Anyway - no way no how would I go if I were you! Good luck with that one!

Kristen said...

Ah, the age old question: Do I return and face all of the high school issues I left behind all those years ago? I hate H.S. reunions because all of my insecurities seem to resurface. It's weird because I'm very secure with where I am NOW and who I am NOW, but as soon as I see a room full of classmates, I lose my current self and feel all those feelings I did as an 18 year old. If Matt likes that stuff, by all means go. I always HAVE to go because I was a senior class officer and have to help with the planning. Ugh!

Michelle D. said...

We're having the same dilema at our house...only it's my reunion. Matt's was last year...he skipped it and didn't think twice about it. I think I've decided to do what you're doing...go to the free family day at the park and save the $$ for a fun night out...just the 2 of us :) But, that could change...

~Pam said...

Why do we have HS reunions? It is like my husband says, you still see or talk to all the people you WANT too see or talk too!!
Really what is the point? Why are all the "glory" years HS and yet no one has anything nice to say about them when they think back?! (as to your post)
Why do we live for 'those were the days'?
I think the friends I have now are way better.
How about a current friend reunion with all those we like now. If we can make time for people we hated 20 years ago let's do it for people we like now!!!
We could go to a nice restaurant for half the price (or less if you don't order soda!!!)
Ban HS Reunions and have Current Friend Reunions- Who's with me?!

val said...

Oh yes, I have missed the entertainment in your blogging! I have yet to hear about one of my reunions, but do get all wierded out by the thought of it, yet excited to see others, then nervous and all anxious like I was in hs to be cool, which I so am not. Yes, you are the babe trophy wife! No need for a rental on this one!

Tara R. said...

Next year will mark my 30th HS graduation anniversary. I have not gone to any of my reunions, not a one. I did get together with my gal pals from school last Christmas. They were the only ones I really wanted to see anyway. I don't feel like I've missed anything by not going to a reunion.

Siri said...

Haha! Oh Man. I remember even my PARENTS struggling with this one. Personally, am I way weird? ... I think they can be really fun! And I wasn't cool. But both Darren and I went to both our 5 and 10. On the otherhand ... we have also been feeling like we've had our fill now. Kinda over it now. Who knows if we'll do either of our 20 reunions. But I have done what some of the others have too ... had mini reunions of my own. Those are great! It's fun to see the people from your past that you DO love and care about. And that way, you avoid the "issues" ya know. BTW don't worry ... you ARE so a trophy wife! xo Anyway. Good luck with that! Either way, it was a really good laugh, Suzanne! Thx.
So ... what's in my Rue 21 bags?!? Yup. (hehe) You know it, girl!! Tradition now. ;) And ... PC-Nov for sure!!! Please let me know. Or have Cindy. Maybe WE could zip line, too. Waaaay fun!

Sarah said...

I am guessing that Matt was pretty cool in high school (mullett induced coolness, of course)- otherwise he wouldn't be so eager to re-live it all. You could always go - show some cleavage and act drunk - get him lots of good attention....that might cure him of rushing to the next one :)

The Page's said...

I will have to admit, I had a blast at both Kevin's and my reunion. I was in no way cool, a geek really, and I still enjoyed seeing people I had grown up with. It was amazing to me that most people GREW UP, I was nervous at first, but it turned out great. Of course everyone is going to gravitate towards those they are most comfortable with at first but by the end of the night I don't think that there was anyone I hadn't talked to. We did do the FREE day only with Kevin's 10 year reunion - Everett was born that week - but he found out half the people he was interested in seeing were only at the dinner the day before. And I know that Matt may not say things the right way but you are totally HIS trophy wife ask anyone who has ever had a conversation with him!

momandpop said...

from your dad. go for the fun and memory of some of the most carefree days of your life. enjoy your old friends and make new ones. by all means take your sweetheart and show her to the world. she will do you proud. we, your mother and i have enjoyed every reunion we have been to. its a time to share and renew friendships. its worth your time and a few bucks.

Nic@Nite said...

Just do it! Pay the big bucks and enjoy some good ol' day talk. Suz it should be entertaining for you to see Matt in all his glory.

Brenda Campbell Hansen said...

Suz, I almost hate to admit it after reading all the comments, but I LOVED my 20 year reunion! In fact, we held it last summer, and had so much fun that we had another one in December! (I KNOW! crazy...) I think since so much time elapsed that the clicks had dissolved and everyones fakey facades faded and we loved it. Even Travis loved my reunion! He was excited to go back to my second 20 year (actually 20 1/2 year) reunion. My 10 year reunion was slightly awkward still, but by 20 years, I think we all grew up a little more! Have fun! Oh, and you are STILL a HOTTIE!