Tuesday, June 16, 2009

From Sea to Shining Sea...

I recently found this website, StoodThere.com, that helps you find where the TOP 100 Greatest Places to stand on the planet are. (Well, at least for the USA, UK, & Europe.) The list is compiled by public vote - so the places on the list and/or their rank on the list could change daily until the voting ends 12/1/2009.
This was interesting to me and I was eager to read which places made the list, but I also thought to myself, "I bet I haven't been to any of them!" (There goes my thinking in extremes, again!) Well, I looked through the TOP 100 and I was surprised to discover that I had stood in 17 of the places!! 17 is not a huge, impressive percentage overall, BUT it IS compared to me saying it was NOTHING! I then wondered if I had actual photo proof and this is what I found in the archives...

OLD FAITHFUL GEYSER, YELLOWSTONE NTL PARK, WYOMING
{1985}

JENNY LAKE, GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
{1985}

THE GRAND CANYON, USA
{Summer 1989}
(another day - same summer)

THE ALAMO, SAN ANTONIO, TX
{1993}

EMERALD BAY, LAKE TAHOE, CA
{1994-Honeymoon}

EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, FL
...on an air boat ride
{1998}

U.S.S. ARIZONA MEMORIAL, PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII
{1999}

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA
{2003}

SEA WORLD, SAN DIEGO, CA
{2005}

LAS VEGAS STRIP, USA
{2008}
...in all my pregnant glory!

MONTEREY BAY AQUARIUM, MONTEREY BAY, CA
{2007}

GLACIER BAY, ALASKA, USA
{2007}

NIAGARA FALLS, CANADA, USA
{2007}

Then as far as the other places that I couldn't find any photos of....which is really too bad for y'all since they were taken in 80's during my "Big, Bountiful Boof" prime!! So sorry you're missing out! ;) But, the 7-month prego one makes up for it! :)
  • Hoover Dam, Arizona/Nevada
  • Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA
  • Bryce Canyon Amphitheater, Bryce Canyon Ntl. Park, Utah
  • Hollywood Sign, California, USA

Now, I better get planning on how I'm going to get to the OTHER 83 greatest places to stand in the USA!!

*******
What greatest places have you been to? (On the "StoodThere" list or not.)

8 comments:

Melissa S. said...

I've shockingly been to 37. Mostly when I was young and with mom being convinced we need to stop at EVERY landmark. And the fact I've lived back east for 8 years. But what is sad is that a lot of those places are within hours of me here and I've never been (and still don't plan to). Man, I'm a party pooper.
Oh, and I LOVED the pictures!!!!

Mandy said...

Great pics suzzane!You guys are always doing fun things. I havent looked at the list, but by looking at your pics, I am sure I havent been to many.....I need to get oout more!

Kristen said...

Fun post! You've been to lots of great places! Love looking at the photo timeline. It takes a brave person to post 80's - 90's photos. Those were some stylish times, huh?

Unknown said...

Suzzane

You've managed to send rather a lot of people to StoodThere.com so, as one of the creators of the site, I thought I'd see what was going on - and say thanks!

Great pics - and a nice story. Hopefully we'll get to see them on the site.

Siri said...

Great post! So fun. And impressive you had all those pictures, too. Hmmmmm ... was Kauai, Hawaii on there? Just got home. Soooo AMAZING!! =)

Anonymous said...

Man you travel a lot, I am jealous.

Brett and Marianne said...

What a skinny and beautiful "big, bountiful, boof" you were!

Michelle D. said...

I've been to 33, with 4 more anticipated in the next few months. Cool site...thanks for sharing :) Loved the pictures you shared!