Monday, June 8, 2009

Got Birthday?

Birthday glitter_graphicsMatt Does Today.


A while ago (uummm....like 7 months) my SIL tagged me with a "Man Tag" or something like it that asked all these questions about your man. I never did it. But, in honor of Matt's [38th] birthday, I'm gonna just take two of those questions and expand on them.


(First Question)
What do you admire most about him?


  1. Matt does NOT get "riled up." In fact, he hates conflict. That means he does not get mad at you. I have watched him play on team sports for the last 16 years and I have never seen him get in a fight - physical or verbal - and believe me, "grown" men (that term is used loosely, it just means OVER AGE 21) are still doing that! He has not lost him temper during a game. He is NOT one of those screaming/whining/cussing lunatics (read ABSOLUTE FOOL) on the field or court. He prefers to "prove his point" by his athletic skills only! It also means he does not criticize you. He does not blame you. He does not "tell you off." (even if you deserve it!) He does not tell you when you're doing something wrong. (I've been trying to tell him it's O.K. - and to please do - in moments when I have the lining or tag on my shirt untucked and hanging out, my buttons have popped open, I have mascara running down my face, boogers showing, etc. etc, but he's still hesitant to point out faults!) He does not want to hurt your feelings or cause you distress. He actually had to fire someone at work last week and he was seriously troubled by it. Even though this employee was bad for the company, he had compassion on the person. His stomach was "not right" the night before. In this economy, especially, that was very difficult for him to do. He does not get "worked up" or lash out about the "injustices" or "inconsideration" of others. Wouldn't you say he balances me out just great?!? :)


  2. Matt has a great Spiritual Power about him. My family & I have been very blessed by this. He has strong faith that he will receive answers to prayers - and he does. We have been the recipients of wonderful Priesthood Blessings. Those of you who know him, know that he is NOT a "man of many words" nor does he "have a way with words," but you would never guess that when he gives a Blessing. When he gave Miss B her baby blessing, Ryan was the Deacon holding the microphone and I thought that may be a special experience for him, but when I asked him about it later, he said, "My arm hurt after all that time." When he returned to the Deacon's bench, the others joked with him & declared, "That was the LONGEST one ever in this ward!" and they had timed it & knew the exact minutes/seconds. Some of the most beautiful moments have been when he gives our children their Back-to-School Father's Blessings. I, as their Mother, of course, have various concerns about our children - a list, really, floating around in my head, but I have never told him every last one of them - he can only take so much of my talking and I don't want to BORE him! :) It never fails, though, in those blessings, he addresses every single one of my worries - that he didn't even know about - UNTIL he was directed by and listened to the Spirit of the Lord in blessing our children! I am so grateful and admire him for that so much.


  3. Matt is a good Missionary. I know he was as a young, 19 yr. old Full Time Missionary in Okinawa, Japan, even though I wasn't there, I can tell by the things I've learned over the years about it. On our walk the other night, he told me that he didn't have stress on his mission. His exact words where, "What's there to be stressed about?" What?!? It's because he delved into the work so much, found joy in serving the Lord, and was buoyed up by the "high" of the Gospel of Happiness. But, his missionary service did not end 17 years ago when he returned home. It continues today. He is diligent with those who live in our area - those who others may be "scared of" and won't look after. He will not give up through the promising times and the discouraging times, as well.


  4. Matt is an excellent Dad. I always joke about this, but it's true....When our babies are new [and nursing] they like/prefer me more - ya know, they kind of like food - but then when I wean them, it's like they turn on me - Dad becomes ALL THAT forevermore - it's like they're never able to forgive me [for weaning.] Some kids are frightened of their Dads, but not ours (see #1) - they call for him if they wake in the night with a nightmare, they want him to tuck them in & listen to their prayers at night. Of course, I've trained them to go to his side of the bed in the middle of the night/very early morning, so that happens, too. When we were in Disneyland with just Haylee & Miss B, there were many rides that the baby could not go on, so just Haylee and ONE parent could go -- guess who Haylee chose every single time? You got it - Dad! Finally, Matt had to "make" Haylee go with me sometimes! :)


  5. Matt goes to the Temple frequently. A couple of years ago, Matt set up a temple time with the Elder's Quorum to go together, for those who wanted to - to make it easier to go, perhaps? It was a set time 2X every month, an early morning session. Matt has always gone and guess how many times someone else has joined him? Exactly NONE! He goes alone - always hoping, always hoping....



(Next Question)
What does he do that surprises you?


  1. When we go down to St. George to visit/stay with my parents, there are NO snacks/candy/junk food - not even one morsel. There is also no Diet Dr. Pepper - which goes without saying. Matt will go out "to get gas" sometimes, but will bring me back a stash of all the above mentioned items to enjoy secretly in our guest bedroom! Oohhh...what a welcome treat! :)


  2. Matt can fall asleep pretty much instantly. This shouldn't surprise me after all these years, but it still does. Especially when it involves LOTS of NOISE, an exciting day tomorrow, a "heavy" talk just finished, being in the midst of extended Brenchley Family conversation, just following "the deed" (chuckle), crying babies, T.V. going, when a lot of things are on our minds, reading with all the lights on, even while driving sans sunflower seeds/Costco mangos/wife jabbering! Anytime. Anywhere.


  3. Matt knows his sports trivia. When we watch "Talkin' Sports" or "Sportsbeat Sunday" and they have a Trivia question - Matt always says the answer out loud - and he's right! Too bad, he never wins the prize - I keep tellin' him he needs to actually call in sometimes to have a chance, but that would require him getting up off the bed to get the phone! ;) I think, How much can one person really know? I keep waiting for a time when he won't know it- especially about things that happened so long ago. I'm still getting surprised week after week. Let me give you an example...Do you know this? "What university had a player with a plastic thumb when it defeated UCLA for the NCAA men's basketball national championship?" Matt does. It was Louisville University, 1980 (The player's name is Wiley Brown.) Or do you know this? "What professional football team was the first NFL team to draft 1985 Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson?" Matt will tell you it was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1986. Let's just say I'm so glad he's on my team when we play "The 80's Game!"


I LOVE YOU, Matt!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Sounds like you married a really great guy! What a sweet post!

momandpop said...

What a man! Matt was born at a difficult time in our lives and maybe he sensed that because he has been a good son since day one. Happy 38th!

michelle said...

Cool post. Sounds like you have a winner! :) I'll have to steal your ?'s as this weekend is our
12th anniversary and let Jake know why I love him.

Heidi said...

Happy birthday to Matt! What a great guy!

Karmen said...

That was one of the best posts I've read in a long time! How sweet! Matt does sound like a great guy...a lot like my hubby actually! Well, not a LOT like him, but my hubby knows SO much sports trivia and quickly falls asleep after "the deed" too!