Monday, August 3, 2009

My Love-Hate Relationship with Summer Vacation

Now that Summer Vacation is about two-thirds over,
I'm torn between thinking it's going too fast
AND willing it to go faster!!


Allow me to explain this complicated relationship
I have with Summer Vacation...


LOVE:
I can go out on errands w/out the kids. (Thanks to our "built-in babysitter")
HATE:
I GO out w/out the kids = more $$$ spent.

LOVE:
No "Morning Madness" - don't have to get the kids ready for school.
HATE:
The "All-Day Madness" because the kids are not in school.

LOVE:
No strict bedtime = fewer bedtime struggles?
HATE:
Kids think they have NO BEDTIME

LOVE:
The weather warms up - wearing flip flops every day, running through the sprinklers, air conditioned home.
HATE:
The weather becomes scorching - dry, cracked feet/heels, sprinkler repair is a "time hog" for Matt, $100-$200/mo. power bill.


LOVE:
Lack of schedules.
HATE:
Nobody thinks they have to do anything.

LOVE:
Kids are home.
(at least, in theory, that should be a "love.")
HATE:
The house is a MESS, arguments pop up too often, constant interruptions, broken things, the baby gets awakened.

LOVE:
No school homework.
HATE:
Any kind of learning is met with resistance -after all, they're on a "vacation" from school, they tell me.

LOVE:
More Family Time?
HATE:
Really, it's just more Mom-and-kids-time = Absolutely NO "Me" time.


But, Happy last 1/3 of Summer Vacation to you!! :)

(to those who LOVE everything about it!)

4 comments:

k8shoe said...

Thank you for explaining exactly how I feel about Summertime. Seriously, dead on (except for the built-in babysitter thing....that'll be the day)!

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying the summer with no schedule, but I am worried we might not make it to school on time when we finally start! I almost have a babysitter...for little amounts at least!

Julie said...

wow - you took the thoughts right out of my head! Personally - I'm so excited for school to start back up - getting back on a schedule is good for all - and the idea of all kids being back in school - can hardly wait! Shame on me......

Melissa S. said...

Amen. Wait, I'm not the first to think so. Down to the less me time, sleeping in, more $ spent (afterall, you have to have a new watermelon EVERY day.....it's summer)!
Loved it.