and decided to do some canning.
I have never done this all by myself in my whole life!
(I'm sure that, in itself, causes me to lose status ["celestial points" if you will] as a Latter-Day Saint woman.)
Sure, growing up, I was on peach pitting & peeling duty PLENTY OF TIMES so my mom could accomplish her canning.
(In fact, I found myself with similar duties much of my youth. If there is one thing I came into adulthood knowing how to do, it's peeling potatoes & carrots and cutting them up! I'm quite the master.)
I've also contributed my pear coring & peeling skills with my MIL when she cans.
But, as far as doing it ALL - the "REAL" canning - like processing in a boiling water bath, I took that on a few days ago. And I was told NOT TO TOUCH OR MOVE the bottles for a while once I put them on the counter, so I have been paralyzed with "screwing-up-canning-fear," so they have been sitting there for several days now....
So, I finally decided to take a picture.
Are you ready for it?
Get your brown paper bags ready, in case this will start a hyperventilating problem for you or something...
Got your tissues, too?
Da, Da, Da, DAAHH.....
Before you think that something went terribly wrong and that I produce food that is the likes of the Better off Dead mom,
let me tell you WHAT I was canning.Jalapeno Jelly.
I had the extra peppers from The Food Co-op and my SIL, Mandy, had been talking about jalapeno jelly over cream cheese to eat with tortilla chips...and I just got it in my mind that I was going to make me some!!
So, I got online & found a recipe and then called my neighbor, Heidi, no fewer than 10 times to ask questions (I actually called her another time, but hung up before anyone could answer because I didn't want to seem like THE STUPIDEST canner alive - I'll settle for the 2nd - THAT and I could see through my window that they were trying to sit down to eat dinner at that moment!)
As far as the taste?
I'm kind of too scared to try it.


5 comments:
Never heard of the stuff.....seriously JELLY? I don't much care for spicy stuff OR canning, but I'm glad SOMEONE is getting her celestial points. Make a few extra jars and spare me some of your points next time.
I bet it's yummy! The Thornblads gave us some for Christmas - and it was really good over cream cheese.... but theirs was red.... not sure how they did that....
Julie -- we used raspberries with the jalepenos.
BUT
Only the first batch turned out, Suzanne -- how do you get it to set up?
Chris - I used 3 pouches of Certo liquid pectin, so I think that must've done the trick (not that I KNOW HOW to get it to set, just because that's how much the recipe called for!)
You are so funny! You just wait by this time next year you'll be super canner. I told you to call with any questions and it's not like I ever get to sit down and actually eat with my family (since I'm the servant) so you could have called anyway.
P.S. Now I'm nervous about the times you may have seen me in my garments or less.!
Post a Comment