Back to Pavlov's: I've learned, talking = no response, yelling = response.
At times, I have consciously made the choice to SAY NOTHING.
And I don't.
And I watch my family NOT doing what they should be doing. (This irritates me so much.)
I refrain from saying anything. I hold back. I remain silent.
Family still not doing what I expect.
I bite my tongue. I fight the "yelling monster" that wants so desperately to come out.
Still not getting the results from them.
I stew, and I stew, and I stew....but what happens to the pot of chili (blah!) when it stews for so long, with the heat getting increasingly higher?...It boils over!!
As is the same with me...I Yell - even though I wasn't going to. I'd chosen NOT to.
And the family's like, "WHOA! Where'd that come from? What's gotten into her? What's her problem?" (I'm telling you my problem right now!)
I resort back to my weakness. Just like the dog to his vomit.
I want to stop. I need to stop.
Saying, "Please forgive me" doesn't seem sincere or believable enough, since part of repentance means I will never do it again. And, so far, I keep doing it.
I have listened to our Church Leaders speak about this and have studied their General Conference talks. I have prayed about this. I have fasted about this. I have continually beat myself up about this.
Why can't I change into a "Non-yeller?" (Is that even a real word, also?)
Is this just a part of me? Is this who I am, unable to be altered? The ol' "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" case in point?
Here's the root of the problem:
There's a very short supply of patience in my entire being.
There are some things that I have little or NO tolerance for.
Things like:
disobedience
not listening
disrespect
irresponsibility
laziness
undependability
dishonesty
unwillingness to serve/help
"free-loaders"
thoughtlessness
being oblivious to the needs of others
And that's my problem I have to work out.
So, I say to my neighbors, I apologize to you for ever having to hear me yell. I don't want to run you out of town. But, is it any coincidence that in the 8 years, 10 months that we have lived in our current home, we have had SIX different next door neighbors? Yes, it's true - THREE different families have lived in each of the houses both on the left & on the right side of me.
And to my family...well, I've got ongoing repenting to do with you, in private.
I didn't realize it before, but it turns out, with all these references, I really am a dog!!
(Although, "bear" is the word my husband used.) :)


11 comments:
You are too hard on yourself. I think most moms are in the same boat. We try to be patient and kind, but patient and kind doesn't get anything done. Yelling works. I agree we should do better and yelling is wrong, but doesn't the family need to take a piece of the responsibility. If they would do what you ask, when you ask, then yelling would most likely stop. It is a two way street. Maybe you could have somekind of code that means "when I do this, I will be yelling at you if you don't go and do what I ask now!" Then they can't be surprised. :)
Your a good mom. i always felt that I was a bad mom cause I always yelled at my kids and my husband would ask me to stop and if I ever got embarrassed. That is why I am on Zoloft now. Women's best friend. I am on it because I am OCD and I get irritated alot by everything and this way I can chill a lot more and just go with the flow and not be so overwhelmed. We mothers....are all in the same boat! It's called staying home and taking care of the children while our husband are out at work.
I am a yeller and not ashamed of it. I just have a hard time remembering where I am, if it's a safe to yell zone or not. I have had a many of Sunday's that I have just wanted to yell. I will be in your support group!
These are good posts because (not that I am saying it is right...!) but it let's the rest of us know we are not alone in this thing called being a mom!
Ava told me the other day after I yelled at Terry for the 14th time to put his seatbelt on (and I quote):
"Mommy, please don't yell at my Grandpa! Because, I love him SO MUCH and it makes me sad when you yell at him!"
Ouch.
I try to convince myself that she would yell in the same situation.
And this is a problem? But hey - your kids haven't announced it in church .... YET..... (Ryan? - next time?) (I have a friend who swears all the time..... - HA HA HA)
And if you didn't "yell" - you would be perfect and translated - and not here for your children.... so carry on my friend!
I tell ya ... if our kids listened and obeyed the first time ... we moms wouldn't have to yell! At times like this (when I'm feeling like a bad mom) I like to remind my friends that my normally patient and very good-natured Marriage & Family Therapist husband has been known to lose his cool and peel out of the driveway!! hehe You're a terrific mom. One day at at time. None of us are at perfection yet!!!
I feel like I'm reading about myself. If it makes you feel better, I don't remember ever hearing you yell; maybe it's because I'm too busy yelling myself. :) My mom is a yeller and I always told myself I wouldn't be one, but I have to agree after the twentieth time telling them to do something, yelling seems to be what finally gets their attention. I'll try to not listen to closely if you promise to do the same for me.
The Lacy's said...
I love the new picture!
March 3, 2010 10:40 PM
Trever and Heather said...
Me too!
March 4, 2010 1:52 PM
Funny - OR NOT - how my neighbor, Laura has not commented on the subject! ;)
One of the ladies from the ward mentioned this post to me today. I took a break from pretty much all blogging for the past month. So I hadn't seen this post. Honest. And like I told her, the only time I remember hearing you yell is when you yell to your kids to come inside and I happen to be outside, which is one of those times when you have to yell to be heard.
We all have plenty to work on. I know I do, and like you said, sometimes it feels like it's just the way I am and I don't see how I can ever change. I guess the important thing is that you're working on it.
Post a Comment