Monday, March 12, 2012

Desperates Marathon


This weekend we tried to play "catch up" on all the Desperate Housewives episodes we have missed since......like OCTOBER! Some of them were so old that we couldn't even access them on abc.com anymore, we had to search the Internet for them.

I lost track of how many episodes we watched after about the 8th one.....I KNOW! Why can't we STOP watching?!? So, needless to say, DH is on my brain.

And this is a synopsis of what happened: dishonesty. deception. lying. manipulating. con artist. ulterior motives. cunning. cheating. stealing. vandalism. intimidation. stalking. fraud. misleading. untrustworthy. shady character. corruption. crafty. half-truths. crooked. devious. cover ups. hidden agendas. sneaky. swindling. two-faced. mean.......

WHY do we watch this?

I also learned the real ages of the actors: "Bree" [Marcia Cross] - 49 (turns 50 in 2 weeks), "Lynette" [Felicity Huffman] - 49, "Renee" [Vanessa Williams] - 48 (turns 49 in 1 week), "Susan" [Teri Hatcher] - 47, "Gaby" [Eva Longoria] - 37. AND THEY ALL LOOK GREAT! Beautiful skin and eyes. Awesome figures - flat stomachs, lean legs, toned arms, firm buns...! Gorgeous hair. They can RUN in 6" heels...WHY do we watch this?!?

Sometime ago, I took one of those fun little quizzes on the abc T.V. website that lets you know which Desperate Housewife you are. As far as the one you were most like. Well, I tested part "Susan" and part "Lynette." I think I mostly got the "Susan" points because of all the spastic things I do and the ridiculous situations I find myself in. But, as far as the way I act (and having 5 children) I'm a "Lynette." While watching, Matt will chuckle to himself about "Lynette" because the similarities between us are sometimes uncanny, and he will say, "That's you!"
WELL, one of the [159] episodes we watched this weekend had a scene where the "girlfriends" pretty much tell "Lynette" that they didn't want to "couldn't think of anybody" to set her up on a date with because she is........(they fished around for the right words, throwing things out like "unique" and "feisty") but it came out that what they really meant was that they thought she is a B _ _ _ _! (Nice friends, huh?) And if I'm "Lynette"......WHY do we watch this????

After that scene, Matt tried to tell me that I'm not really exactly like her.....that much..... (nice backpedaling!)

But, STILL, I watch, and this is what I think should happen on the show next:
Susan should let her daughter give her baby up for adoption because that is what SHE has decided - it will be BEST for the BABY - and just stay out of it!
Bree needs to get a restraining order against [insane] Orson.
Tom & Lynette need to get back together! (If she can just be less bossy & critical and he can be more proactive, dependable, and engaged.)
Carlos needs to cut/do his hair back to the way it used to be.
Mike needs to go to the police about the "Loan Shark."
Ben needs to learn how to run/build up his construction business and start making a profit/paying his employees.
Gaby needs to get rid of that bottle of wine hidden in the toilet tank.

Because ALL OF THIS is just so gosh darn important, eh?!? :)

Matt's comment last night after we'd watch every last available episode, was this: "WHY CAN'T EVERYONE JUST HAVE A NORMAL LIFE?"

And just WHAT is normal? (Is there a "normal" family out there? If so, I don't know one!) I had to inform him that "normal" doesn't mean "perfect".

We have to ask ourselves: Is the show ALLURING to us because it's so bizarre and far-fetched that it allows us to [momentarily] lose touch with reality? OR is that we are drawn to it because we really CAN relate to the madness and ironies in our own lives?

Well, I guess we have to come up with the answer soon (or not) because this [8th] season is THE LAST SEASON of Desperate Housewives and then [sadly?] it is ending it's run.

No comments: