MY BABY lost her first tooth today!
Except BABIES don't lose teeth.....
Which means......
She's probably NOT a baby anymore....???
It is kind of alarming to think about.
All of a sudden it was hard for me to swallow.
Should I cheer?
Or should I cry?
It felt quite eerie to me.
I have had "LITTLE CHILDREN" for so long.....
(17 2/3 years to be exact)
...that somehow it seemed like I would have them forever....
And with the loss of a tooth....it's a sign that the "little" is on it's way out.
I've thought about the "someday" when I would no longer be in the "little" stage all these year a lot, no doubt - but it was always an unreachable future (far off future) date!
Basically, I never thought this day would come.
And it just did.
I kind of have a headache.
And my teeth are chattering.
(But that may be because it's 11:30 at night and I just drank a whole cup of ice cold water.)
I'm amazed. And confused.
(Name that song & artist!)
Miss B was SO eager to show all her brothers & sisters as they came home from school one by one.
(She claims she can "whistle" out the hole, now. It's more like a "blow", but whatever!)
I was really excited along with her as they each reacted with delight.....
And then I kinda wanted to pretend it didn't happen, too, all at the same time.
When I think about it, the "word" that comes to my mind is "Uh Oh" - as my eyes dart this way and that way and I wonder, Am I in the Twilight Zone?
It is an unfamiliar, mystifying place to be!
*******
In other news, the normally irresponsible, extremely tardy, down-right neglectful Tooth Fairy has already made the visit! The money is waiting under her pillow as we speak (or write).
He's (she?) trying to redeem him(her?)self.
You see, I think the promptness & dependable behavior of the Tooth Fairy can be explained by the fact that at the very moment her actual tooth came out, I was in my office, with the door closed, working, and she was eating a corn dog in the kitchen (she bit into the stick, and out came her tooth!) I heard a little cry/whimper, but then it stopped. A minute later, she came into my office and got up into my face, with her mouth open (and a bit bloody) and let out a moan of sorts - to my surprise, she'd lost a tooth! And THEN I realized I had MISSED it! The last first tooth juncture of any of my children - GONE! And then I berated myself. I know! Mother of the Year material right there.
(Although, if I were being realistic, losing a tooth happens away from home [& Mom] all the time. My other children have lost them at school quite a bit, in fact. Heck! I lost my first tooth on the school bus - because I was biting on the seat in front of me. [gross!] )
But, still.....I expect MORE THAN reality.....it's a surefire way to go insane!
1 week ago


No comments:
Post a Comment