Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pigs are Flying!

Haylee & Katelyn attended a mini cheerleader camp with some cute girls from our neighborhood this past week at Viewmont. They learned some routines and cheers to perform during halftime at the football game on Friday. How embarrassing, I know! (the V.H.S. part) I can't believe I allowed them to do such a thing - definite proof I am not in my right mind lately! :)


As I was sitting in the stands on the Viewmont side, I had a direct view of the Visitors' bleachers. A vivid memory came back to me...it was those same bleachers that had Karo syrup poured all over them, as a "warm welcome" from the lovely Vikings student body, when I came to a BHS @ VHS football game over 20 years ago - and once again, I wondered, "What am I doing here?"

Oh yeah....
it was to watch our girls perform. Well, Haylee is a whole head shorter than anyone else in her group, so we could NOT find her the entire show. Yep, we have NO IDEA how she did - what do you say to her afterwards since, "You looked so great!" is not an option? We did see Katelyn up front since she was in the youngest age group - and she had NO inhibitions - but our camera couldn't adjust to the stadium lights or something and the photos all turned out dark, so this is the only good picture we got...not during the performance...


So, we did stay and watch the whole football game and Syracuse went ahead with not a lot of time left in the 4th Quarter. Viewmont's QB pulled off a series of plays very quickly that ended up in a score and they won. As this was unfolding, without conscious decision, I had an "out-of-body experience." I found myself standing up (maybe even jumping up & down), excited and cheering! Matt called me on it and pointed it out to the boys, asking, "Is Mom rooting for Viewmont??!!?" (while laughing at me.) It's gotta be just because I was trying to demonstrate cheerleading to my daughters (since that's WHY we were there!) OR because the QB is the son of Kyle's Cub Scout den leader and I was happy for their family's success, OR just "For the Love of the Game", right?...


Still don't understand the "pig" title? I believe years ago if asked if I would ever cheer for Viewmont, I must've replied, "WHEN PIGS FLY!!"

9 comments:

Heidi said...

It looks like Katelyn is as tall as Haylee. That sounds like fun, I always loved high school football games. Who's son is the QB?

Jamie VanBeekum said...

Aww, C'mon! Not all Vikings are bad - look at me! I turned out OK :D Pssst... Unless you move, your kids are going to be Vikings too, LOL, right?

Kristen said...

Go Vikings!

Anonymous said...

I think that's part of being a mother, you automatically have to cheer for whatever school your kids are at. Right this minute I am wearing a shirt from my kids elementary. Going with the flow.

Nic@Nite said...

Pigs MUST be flyin' somewhere. I can't believe you let them do the cheer camp in the first place. The Viewmont horizon must be grown on you, which is good cause your kids will be going there.

Julie said...

I'm thinking that you might be needing to move - If you're still having this this vile reaction to Viewmont.... it is the school where your kids will go..... ha ha ha

Suzanne said...

Heidi - the QB is Ryan Workman (we combine cubs w/ DC 1st.)

I REALIZE we live in Viewmont school boundaries...and what that means for my kids. Keep in mind, a nice Bountiful H.S. girl like myself married a Viewmont boy - gasp! So, I gotta TALK! :) Also, just testing to see if he reads "OUR" blog, seems as I've got something on the sidebar dedicated to him this week!

~Pam said...

Can you believe we can say "20 years ago" and remember the event...!!!!

Brett and Marianne said...

You better keep those BHS supporters loud and clear to your kiddos....let's see how many years do you have until you need to make the move to BHS territory?