Friday, September 5, 2008

Your Opinion, Please...

If you forgot to leave a tip, would you go back to the restaurant and pay? If so, what's the time frame it should be done in? Would it depend on how far away you got before you remembered? Or on how good/bad the service was? Are there etiquette laws about this?
This happened to me! Our family ate at Doug & Emmys the other day and Matt asked me to take care of the bill while he went out early to the car with the girls. Those of you who know this place, know it's a "hole in the wall" where you pay at the front counter - they don't bring you a bill back to the table after running your card. So, I went up to the cash register and she gave me a copy and asked me to sign it - I did and then left. It wasn't until that night when all of a sudden, I remembered, I didn't write a tip on the receipt copy. I'm so not used to paying the bill that I was just on "automatic pilot" and signed the credit card receipt just as if I were shopping at a retail store or something. (still out of it) I don't even know the waitress' name - she was wearing a yellow shirt that day, younger than I, dk. brown hair ...how would I even explain who the tip was for if I go back? This is embarrassing!

5 comments:

~Pam said...

all I know is tipping has become a big joke! Did you ever watch 3rd Rock from the Sun? or whatever it was called....when the dad learned that you had to tip and he told the waitress this was her "potenial" tip and then would take away or add depending how well she did!!!!Isn't that what tipping really is? Now, it is just expected a flat 20% no matter what the service....now for all those grumpy for this comments that have been servers, I was once a server too.
hOwever, regarding your question...don't know! This happened to me once that they scanned my card before the meal (Sweet Tomatoes) and then I realized I had no cash (I rarely have cash) so I drove down the street to the ATM and drove back), but that much later, I probably wouldn't worry about it and would just feel guilty for a day until I forgot!!!!

Nic@Nite said...

No worries, next time you go out (if you are still feeling bad) give your server a bigger than normal tip.

Ruuddudes said...

I'd do NOTHING! I'm such a scaredy cat... :)

Mandy said...

How was the service from the waitress? Was she tip worthy?? I think I would go back and try to describe her, if you know who she is for sure, tell her what happened and give her a tip. It sounds crazy, but I think if I were her, I would think you were amazing for coming back. But if you don't, I don't think you should sweat it. It was an honest mistake.

Cheryl said...

i still remember the couple that didn't tip me during my short stint as a waitress! but that's just me, i knew them too, it was my friend's younger brother and his date. anyway, like mandy said it was an honest mistake, if you go there again you could try to find her. if not, no worries, she might just voodoo doll you or something, hahaha.