Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TRAINED!

Ever since having children, we've had to figure out how to handle middle-of-the-night awakenings together. For obvious reasons, Matt can't do a thing for a hungry baby during this time, so we came up with this plan: I get up with our babies EVERY time until they're weaned AND THEN Matt gets up with them from then on -- for the rest of their lives!! For any of you out there who are thinking that doesn't seem fair must have had better sleeping babies than mine or can't remember those "baby nights!" Believe me...Matt's total # of times will never equal my total #.

Anyway, along those same lines, our children have always been early risers who think they have to come into their parent's room first thing and wake them up/let them know their awake by tapping on the mattress next to our face. They usually ask for "pink milk" and for help turning on a show ~ or nothing! FOR YEARS I have been trying to teach them that it is NOT good manners to wake people up! I also try to teach them that it's not time to wake up until the sun is shining - well, that backfires on me in the summer! But, until they learned that lesson, I also have trained them to go to Dad's side of the bed in the early morning (and leave me alone!) They have got down the "going to Dad's side" part, but were still struggling with the "leave me alone" part (like when he's not there or won't wake up or they're LOUD & come in multiple times.) I continued to reiterate the lesson of "good manners" each time. Needless to say, Matt always obliges them (to avoid the "weeping & wailing & gnashing of teeth"), but he hates it. (They have no reason to stop if he keeps giving them what they want!)

Well, this morning was a momentous one...
Matt had left VERY early to go to the temple, so when Katelyn came in, of course, she found his side of the bed empty. I vaguely remember a voice saying (to herself), "Where is he?" I think I might have groggily replied, "He's at the temple." And then I went back into my slumber and heard nothing more. Later on, I felt a presence and I opened my eyes and saw Haylee on Matt's side looking at the vacated spot, but she thought I was still asleep. She never said anything and turned to leave. I don't know how much later, but eventually I woke up at a normal time. When I went out into the rest of our house, I found the boys & the baby still asleep and Haylee was entertaining herself, but I couldn't find Katelyn. I looked in every room - TWICE! I asked Haylee and she said she hadn't seen her at all since waking up. I finally went out to the garage and there was Katelyn sitting in our stroller with a blanket. I asked her what she was doing. She said she was waiting for Dad to get home. I guess she knew it wasn't important enough to wake me up for nothing!
And then I realized...those girls are finally TRAINED! YES!! Neither one of them tried to wake me up because they have LEARNED that would be rude (and it wasn't officially morning, yet!) It only took YEARS, but we made it!
Not pictured: Me doing the "victory dance" now!
Now if I can only train the kids to clean up after themselves! :)

10 comments:

KeNnEdOoDlE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Hooray for little miracles. Good job girls!

Heidi said...

That is hilarious! At least now you know there is hope for training them. :)

k8shoe said...

That is huge! Before I had kids, my neighbor told me that she would poor cereal in bowls and put them out and then put milk in cups on the lowest shelf in the fridge so that her kids could get their own cereal. I was appalled and couldn't believe she was so lazy. THEN I had kids of my own and I realized she wasn't lazy, she was SMART! My kids are early risers too (6:00 am is usual) and once in awhile, they'll stay upstairs playing in the room but usually they wake us both up. And my husband wonders why I'm so grumpy (since my baby usually wakes up between 4 and 5). And now that I've almost written a book on here.....

k8shoe said...

POUR not poor

(Hey, I only got 4 hours of sleep last night)

val said...

Aw, there's hope! My six year old needs to learn this one...like today when I drifted off to sleep while preparing my sharing time, only to get woken up so she could ask me for a brownie. Hey, if I'm lucky enough to sneak in a cat nap, a brownie is NO reason to wake me up!!!

Brenda Campbell Hansen said...

OK, Suzanne, you need to write a book (or at least a pamphlet) for bride-to-bes on all the pre-marital agreements to make with their husband-to-bes because YOU TOTALLY ROCK!

Ruuddudes said...

That is so cute! And I wish you would train both my kids AND my husband! (He'd NEVER agree to taking on the kids after they are weaned... he's too lazy...) :)

Mandy said...

Great job Suzanne. I'm going to tell Anna that your kids are trained and it's time for her to be trained too. They are good about going to Mikes side of the bed though. I learned that one from you a while back!

Brett and Marianne said...

Wow! I need to take note...today during my so-called Sunday nap...I had just fallen asleep when McKell woke up....then I went upstairs so I couldn't hear her, and just when I had fallen back asleep, Breanne came and woke me up to see if she could get McKell up....then Mason came in to see if he could get McKell up....I gave up on my Sunday nap! Augh!