I was reading a TAG post on my SIL, Mandy's, blog and there was a category where you had to write, "8 Things that happened yesterday." Seriously, my first thought was, "I'm glad I don't have to answer that one - I didn't do anything yesterday! I for sure wouldn't have 8 things to say."
This is where Matt gets the idea that I'm a bit of an "extremist." He thinks I use words like, "Never," "Always," "Nobody," "Nothing," "All," "Every," etc. too freely ~ do y'all notice that about me, too? He "always" tries to tell me that what I say when I use those type of words is really not true "at all."
So, I started to reflect on WHY I responded so "extreme" to that TAG question. Well...it's because yesterday I didn't shower. I put on clean underwear and got dressed, but no shower. I also took a nap. My three oldest kids were at school, Katelyn went to a friend's for 4 1/2 hours, and it was Brookelle's nap time -- I just couldn't pass up this perfect opportunity. How often do my lucky stars align that way?!? So, because of those two incidences, I'd jumped to the conclusion that I didn't accomplish "anything." Well, Matt's right - it wasn't completely true - because upon further examination, this is how yesterday actually all went down...(Humor me, allow me to work this out - it's therapy!)
- Up at 6:45am
- Fed the baby, changed the baby, held the baby, put the baby to sleep...REPEAT 5X
- Drove the Jr. High carpool
- Read scriptures & had Family Prayer w/ kids (Matt had to go into work early again!)
- Walked my Elementary School kids to school
- Went out w/ friends to "Birthday Brunch" for Shawnette
- Made 15 Freezer Meals for hours
- Taught Ryan how to call & order Pizza (see #7)
- Ate Dominos Pizza for dinner ~ ya gotta love "Two for Tuesday!" :)
- Washed a load of WHITES (or else I wouldn't have clean ones for tomorrow - and wonder if I didn't shower again?)
- Performed "surgery" on my thumbnail that started ripping way too low
- Read a bedtime story to Katelyn - Trouble in the Barkers' Class by Tomie DePaola
- Helped Haylee read a "real" book - Bears in the Night by Stan & Jan Berenstain
- Instructed Kyle on how to put together a "Pioneer" costume for the 4th grade performance/assembly he was in the next day and where to find all the stuff.
- Spent time with My Man! (Matt)
- Went to sleep a little after Midnight
So, it turns out...what I initially thought was "Nothing" was really a whole lot of "Everything!" I hit "all" the important things in my life: Time with each member of my family, spiritual needs, taking care of myself, Friends, and household chores. (notice that one was listed last!)


5 comments:
That is one impressive day! I saw you walking home yesterday and thought I need to be more like you. I should write down what I get done in a day and maybe then I would feel better about myself.
I need to make a list like that for my husband. I think he questions what I do day in and day out. I've threatened to NOT do what I usually do everyday so that he might take notice and realize that my staying at home is still a good thing. But when the house starts to get cluttered and messy and my normal routine is NOT getting done (due to my protest) I can't stand the clutter and I quickly clean up. :D
I'd say you had a very successful day! I'll have to add this to my blog...thanks for the idea :)
That's a good post. I am hard on myself somedays when I think I didn't do anything. If only to be so lucky as a mother and actually have a day off and not do anything!
Yeah this is one of those feel good about what you actually get done list, but don't feel or think you do. I also had a three hour time w/o kids earlier this week. I felt very weird and out of place. I actually got multiple errands done without dragging 1-3 kids in and out of the car for each errand.
Post a Comment