Monday, November 2, 2009

Opening my Mind

We made wall clocks at our Super Saturday.

When we were signing up for our projects ahead of time, there was a wall clock on display made by our own "decorating Guru" in our ward. So, of course, it looked fantastic!

It lured me in - and I registered for the class.

We were to provide our own paint color of choice, but I just found out the EXACT color & brand that the "example" had been made with. (Since I figured if it was going to look good, it had to look like that one.)

Much to my dismay, when I went to Robert's Craft Store, that color was no where to be found! So, I got another paint that was as close to a medium beige-ish that I could find (that's how her paint color was described.)

And then I fretted about it, since it wouldn't look just like the "model."

I came to Super Saturday and would not get started right away because I still wasn't sure about the color.

This is so stupid, huh?!?

Well, another lady at my table had brought some pink & green paint with her to try out along with her color in the medium beige-ish family.

And then it hit me...Could I do another color besides medium beige? Could I do COLOR - period? It had never occurred to me before since I was "STUCK" on following the "example."

I LIKE RED. I really am quite fond of it. My mind started turning. Why didn't I ever consider doing any other color? I knew I had some "Barn Red" paint at home, so I went home to fetch it.

It was a pretty bold decision to make a 24" Wall clock in a COLOR other than "medium beige" but I was going for it. And it was kind of exciting!

There was only 1/2 a bottle left, so we barely made it. And this is how it turned out:


{Either my camera - or the photographer - needs help, but I could not get a photo without a glare on the clock!}

At first, mine was the only COLORED clock amongst a sea of beiges & browns. As I was painting it, I was questioning whether or not I should've done it! But, everyone really liked it. Others even said they wished they would've done it. Another gal even decided to do RED because she saw mine! I actually wasn't sure I liked it for a while, but now that it's been in my home for a week - I DO!


It really got me thinking...I was so closed-minded about how to do the project that I didn't even consider any other color besides the one on display until the very last minute. In this case, my "thinking outside the box" turned out to be delightful! How many other times & situations have I not been able to "open my mind" and see multiple possibilities and solutions? What amazing things have I missed out on because I put my creativity to a standstill? Have I been hindered by my "medium beige thinking" that everything has to be done a certain way - that there is no other way?

That reminds me, I had a mission companion from the South and she had all kinds of great sayings (which, of course, I'd never heard of before, and required translation) but one she'd frequently say is.... with her accent,

"Sis-tah, There's more than one way to skin a cat!"

And I found one - and I hope I do it more often.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Looks great! We also have a red clock on our wall that I made several years ago. I love red (that's why my entire kitchen is painted in that bold color).

Great job on the clock. You crafty lady, you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the red and you know how I feel about that color!

Dan said...

Way to go Suzanne! I love it! It is hard to try something outside the box, but the red is way better than beige!

Julie said...

You just described me completely to a tee - which is exactly why I didn't even sign up to do it - although I loved it a ton - but was afraid mine wouldn't look good somehow....... so dumb........ of me......

Julie said...

And I love the red by the way! It's great!

Mandy said...

So, so cute! I love the clock. I'm glad you thought outside the box.

Trever and Heather said...

LOVE it.

The Page's said...

It looks great, way to venture outside and not have a heart attack doing it!

Cheryl said...

Way to go Suz! It's a great looking clock. I love red. I'm in need of a new everyday purse/bag, and have been drawn to the red ones. I still use the same bag from when I was single and it's just not cutting it anymore, it's time to upgrade to a mom bag!

Mylissa 2 said...

Your clock looks great! This is Melissa-Marianne's sister in law. I sometimes come check out your blog cause she talks about how fun it is. I really like this post, it makes you think!!! It was fun to see you at the tri.