Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Power of Accountability

Last week I got curious.
I wondered about my eating. How bad was it? How good was it? Did I really want to know? YES! I decided I did.
My friend, Jill, (there - I dropped your name!) knows all about the nutritional value, points, calories, etc. of food, so I just told her I was going to write down everything I ate the next day and then show it to her to check.


And a very interesting thing happened...

The next day, I had some Easter candy in my cupboard that I'd been planning on eating. BUT, I didn't want to write it down that I ate it - so I didn't eat it! I showed my list to Jill that night and she said I was doing fine...but I was still curious - that was only ONE day.


I continued the day after that, too. I happened to go to Costco and, of course, they had 12 or so samples out - all of which I would've normally sampled. BUT, then I'd have to write down everything and that would make for a LONG list, and I did not want to do that - so I passed on the samples! I, again, showed my list to Jill - pretty good...but I was still curious - might as well keep going.


On Saturday, Matt asked if i wanted to go get a Blizzard with him at Dairy Queen (he had a B1G1 free coupon). I wondered what kind of impact that'd have on my daily caloric intake. I looked it up online. Are you ready for this? I checked out the Reese's PB cup blizzard since that's what I planned on ordering...

600 calories. 21 grams of fat. 87 grams of carbs (i.e. sugar)

And that was the SMALL size. No way was I going to write that down! That's all the calories of a meal. That's a whole days worth of fat. That's way too much sugar for an addict like me! Didn't go, didn't eat it, too disgusted to have that written on my list.


On Sunday, Matt made Chocolate Chip Cookies for some other families. They looked and smelled very good. The kids were swooning all around the kitchen at the leftovers. When he set aside some for us, I, again, thought about having to write it down. Instead of 11(+) cookies, I ate one that someone had already taken a bite out of - so, about two-thirds of a cookie. I could handle writing that down. 11+? Too appalling.


On Month End, Matt had to stay late at work, so he invited me to meet him for lunch (so we could at least see each other that day!) We went to Costa Vida. I always order the Fajita grilled steak salad. But, there's two sizes - large & small. Well, guess what? You got it - I didn't want to have to write down that I ate a LARGE one - how embarrassing! So, I ordered the small for the first time ever. And can I just say, it really is MUCH smaller. But, it was fine.

WAIT!...Does it sound like to you that Matt might be sabotaging me?!? :)

On Fast Sunday I made a mini-Thanksgiving meal for dinner. We had the Turkey, real Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Helen Goo's homemade rolls, Jamie's Thanksgiving casserole (vegetables)...Yummm! It really hit the spot for the fasters in my family! :) So much so that a lot of people were having 2nd & 3rd helpings...do you see where I'm going with this? That'd make me look like a PIG if I had to write down all those extra servings. No, not just LOOK - it'd be spelled out in black & white right in front of me - it WOULD be full-fledged PIG! So, I didn't.


So, last night I got curious again. It'd been a week since I'd been writing down everything I ate. Did it make a difference? Of course I wanted to know! So, I stepped on the scale....Oh, it made a difference, alright!


4.8 pounds, baby!

(loss, not gain, by the way.)

All because I wrote down everything that I ate. Who would've thought?

10 comments:

Dan said...

NO WAY!!! That is awesome! You said you lost, but I didn't realize you lost so much. You could compete with the Biggest Loser Ranch at that rate. I am very impressed!!

Michelle said...

Nice work! Who would have thought that writing things down would help so much. And I can't believe how much calories and sugar is in a small blizzard!!! How sad...we should probably cut back on our ice cream intake, it's just so darn good! And being pregnant doesn't help because it ALWAYS sounds good.

Adrianne said...

Hey, you might be interested but my husband started keeping track of what he eats, and he actually ordered him a "Body Bug" and it actually keeps track of how many steps you take in a day and how many calories you actually burn in a day! and then it has a website where you enter what you have eaten for that day and tells you how many calories you have taken in for that day also! It's neat and really motivating!! If you are interested, just ask my hubby about it and he can tell you all about it!! Just an idea!! That's great though! Keep it up!

Kristen said...

Great job! That sounds like a good idea. I may try that this next week.

Heidi said...

Before I was pregnant I was counting calories and it's amazing how fast they add up. I definitely need to start writing down what I eat so I can lose this baby weight, I just need someone to show it to.

Anonymous said...

You would love weight watcher's. THat is exactly what they have you do, and exercise. It's basically the word of wisdom. I have lost 35 pounds!

Way to go!

Mandy said...

That is great Suzanne! It looks like you have figured out the secret. I better start doing that. I don't know who I would dare show it too though! I guess that is the whole point of why it works! Good job.

Mandy said...

way to go Suzzane! I need to do that too!

michelle said...

Like someone else said writing down is part of one of the programs at Weight Watchers. It makes you much more aware of what you are putting into your mouth when you have that accountability in place. Congrats!!! In a few months I will get back on the band wagon once I've had my baby and gotten past my six week post check.

Brenda Campbell Hansen said...

That's awesome! Way to go. I have to stop making brownies, or not make them til everyone is home, because I end up eating the whole dang pan, one little sliver at a time...